Alphabetical Page Breaks when Printing.

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
FineWine
Site Admin

Alphabetical Page Breaks when Printing.

Post by FineWine »

I am in the process of designing my own print template for DVD & Bookpedia and I would like to force page breaks at the beginning of each letter of the alphabet and at the same time insert a single large alpha character at the top right corner (e.g. A B C etc) to denote the start of each alpha listing or the alpha listing of that page. Of course it would still page break automatically when an alpha listing goes over to the next page even if it is just one entry on that page.

I have looked around the web and can not seem to find a way to do this. Of course I may be using the wrong search terms.

Cheers
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Alphabetical Page Breaks when Printing.

Post by Conor »

There is no way to achieve this in a print template. Tt would take a little more smart logic from DVD & Bookpedia to be able to figure it out. At the moment it's only able to insert page breaks after a determined amount of entries that fit onto a page.

So the best way to achieve this is to actually use an HTML export with page split by letter that will break it into 26 web pages. Does mean you then have to then print 26 pages from Safari, but would allow for the header.

The meta tag to add add the top of the template would be:

Code: Select all

<meta name="PageSplit" content="SortLetter" />
The key to create the bold letter for the current page would be [global:sortedEntry]

The issue is the template is no longer separating by the number of entries that fit on a printed page. Wouldn't be an issue if the page-break-inside property "that is ideal for the BeginRepeat to EndRepeat section" would work in Safari (currently gets ignored), but might work in other browsers. This means that a movie details might be cut in half to fit on the next page. I did test it last two years ago, so things might have improved.

If I can think of a way to integrate this feature easily, I'll be sure to let you know.
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

FineWine wrote:I have looked around the web and can not seem to find a way to do this. Of course I may be using the wrong search terms.
Conor wrote:There is no way to achieve this in a print template. Tt would take a little more smart logic from DVD & Bookpedia to be able to figure it out. At the moment it's only able to insert page breaks after a determined amount of entries that fit onto a page.
No wonder I could not find it. W3Schools is my favourite HTML & CSS knowledge base.

I will give your work around method ago next week when I am off work. I do not mind 26 pages(or more). It is how I have sorted my DVD/book shelves into anyhow, like at a normal library even if there is only one item on a shelf. This printout is all in preparation of us moving back to New Zealand next year, packing then unpacking etc.

Thanks and Cheers
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

For me moving has always been more of mental burden as you seem to end up planning everything about three times, then the actual physical work it actually ends up being. Good luck with the move.