Lost Database

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
hhvegas
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Lost Database

Post by hhvegas »

Last week, I backed up my database to a tab file. Today when I opened up Bookpedia, it can't find my database. The db listed in the prefs is empty and was created today. I tried importing from my backup but i loss my pictures and, perhaps, other info. I tried doing a Spotlight search but don't see my old db there. Is there anything I can do? Thanks.
Nora
Site Admin

Re: Lost Database

Post by Nora »

By default your database would be located in your Home folder under ~/Library/Application Support/Bookpedia, in a file called Database.bookpd. (If you're on Lion or Mountain Lion, the Library folder is hidden by default but you can use the Finder's 'Go' menu, hold down the Option key and the Library folder will appear.)

Check a) that that folder is still there and wasn't moved and b) that Bookpedia is actually looking there for its data. You can do this in the Preferences menu > General tab at the bottom of the window where the data path is listed.

Tab delimited files do not include cover images, only text. So importing that file wouldn't include your covers. However if you do not find your Bookpedia data folder and don't have another backup of your computer then you can use this file and re-download the cover images via the 'Download from' command found under the contextual menu in the cover image well at the bottom left of the main window or, even better, use the little gear button in the edit window to download advanced info and cover image for each entry.
hhvegas
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by hhvegas »

Thanks. I managed to find an older db, used it and added a few books which I had after that db was created. That returned my pics. Now the only issue is that my autofill is empty. Is there any way to easily populate those items? Thanks again.
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

The file you want is autofill.xml and can be found here: ~/Library/Application Support/Bookpedia/ So where ever you acquired your old database from it should be in the same location as that.

Remember TimeMachine is your greatest of friends for ALL OSX computers.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

You can also recreate the autofill from the current values in the database by using the "Rebuild" button under "Preferences -> Autofill". You have to change the pop-ip for the field and click it for each one.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Conor wrote:You have to change the pop-ip for the field and click it for each one.
Related topic:

"Rebuild All" for autofill