Gamepedia - Import text file of Titles

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
DJO

Gamepedia - Import text file of Titles

Post by DJO »

Greetings to all from New Zealand!

I have a large number of games in a folder. I would like to import these titles into Gamepedia to save typing in each individual entry. Unlike DVDpedia, l cannot simply choose the folder. I have made a text file of the titles. From what I have read if l convert the text file to a Tab-delimited or CSV then import should work.

I am not having success with conversion. A few pointers or the best way to do this is what l am after.

Any guidance on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

DJO :D :D
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Gamepedia - Import text file of Titles

Post by Conor »

You should be able to import a text file without issue with only the titles on each new line, e.g.:

Title
Zelda Majora's Mask
Bastion
Limbo
Peggle

The other option is to copy paste that list into Gamepedia's "Game -> Add Multiple..." window. Although the field is only one line in height it will smartly parse several titles all on their own new line and add them all for searching:

This has the advantage that it will look for the game online and download all the information, although you can do that after a CSV import as well with the gear button in the edit window or the "Game -> Update from..." menu.
DJO

Post by DJO »

Conor wrote:You should be able to import a text file without issue with only the titles on each new line, e.g.:

Title
Zelda Majora's Mask
Bastion
Limbo
Peggle

The other option is to copy paste that list into Gamepedia's "Game -> Add Multiple..." window. Although the field is only one line in height it will smartly parse several titles all on their own new line and add them all for searching:

This has the advantage that it will look for the game online and download all the information, although you can do that after a CSV import as well with the gear button in the edit window or the "Game -> Update from..." menu.
Hi Conor, thank you for your reply.
tried your first suggestion, l went import collection, chose my text file of titles. A window came up with import from on one side and import to on the other. I only see the first title on the import from and the import to has a large drop down menu but l don't know which to choose.
tried your second suggestion as directed but there is no button to begin the search.

Am l missing something?

Cheers,

Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

With the first suggestion you have to select "Title" from the drop down menu. This tells Gamepedia what field to put all the information into. It also expects the first line to be the description of the field. So if you open up your text file and make the first line "Title", it will do the mapping automatically for you.

With the second suggestion after pasting the big list hit the return button, this should move all the titles into the table view right below and begin the search automatically. Should the search be paused there would be a "resume" button on the bottom right of that same window.
DJO

Post by DJO »

Hi Connor!

the first suggestion partially worked. The import worked but the resulting entries all said 'Untitled'

However the second suggestion worked perfectly!

Many grateful thanks for your help!

cheers,