Add Audiobooks?

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
meandmyhouse
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Add Audiobooks?

Post by meandmyhouse »

Got my Bookpedia license, and today imported 3500 books and ebooks. Next question - is there a way to automatically add/import info for audiobooks? I have from audible, christianaudio, librivox, and others just from the various websites that produced them.

Thanks.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Add Audiobooks?

Post by Conor »

I do not believe the files for audio books have any meaningful metadata. If you could get a list of ISBN numbers or titles you could then run that list via the add multiple to import books from online search site. I'll investigate to see if these files have data that can be imported and if so update Bookpedia if it can be done.
meandmyhouse
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by meandmyhouse »

I actually messed around this morning and got an import to work. In iTunes I chose the Books file, then clicked on Audiobooks, then exported Playlist as xml. Then imported it into Bookpedia. I gives me Title, Author and Genre (Audiobook), picture, format, date added (to iTunes library), Comments (tells me who it is read by), and a link to open it in iTunes. (I wasn't asked which fields to add as what.) This much info pleases me.

Two questions I have are: Audiobooks that are more than one file are imported as individual files. Is there another way to merge the files easier than what I've found so far. So far I've tried dragging in, from Finder the other parts to the first one on its links tab. This works. And then I'm guessing I can go back and delete the entries for the other parts. Haven't done it yet. - And haven't added that collection to my Library yet, as I want to make sure I've done all editing before I mix it with my Books. But just wonder if there is a way that would be easier.

The other question has to do with future audiobooks I get. I'm guessing I can make a Playlist that I just add any new ones to, then import that playlist, and delete (or empty) it after exporting, to make an empty one to add new ones again. (Because I'm guessing I don't want to keep importing the same playlist or it will add duplicates - my whole library over and over each time I import.) If this is the way to do this, then I'm guessing that I need to do the same with Calibre and my Kindle books? Make a sub-library, with only new books in it to export?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

I should have mentioned that through iTunes it would work as Bookpedia knows about the iTunes files.

There is no merge command, it's on the todo list. Dragging the other files to the links tab is the correct way to add the additional files. There is a shortcut for this action, select the book and drag to the details view (it will add the files as links and you will see them appear in the details view).

You could do a playlist for each import or use the beta version. I have updated it to check against already linked files and ask for confirmation before importing any duplicates that already exist. This way no books will fall through the cracks and be left behind, you can simply export your iTunes book collection and let Bookpedia skip duplicates on import.
meandmyhouse
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by meandmyhouse »

Thank you.

If I delete the other parts (after 1) and put their links into part 1, will those other parts reimport when I do another import? (I'm guessing it will ask me if I want to though?)

Can I use the beta version if I purchased through the App Store? (I had a gift card there.)

Can I just move the current version to another location, rather than deleting it, in case I want to revert to it instead of the Beta? (Just in case, I guess.)
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

If I delete the other parts (after 1) and put their links into part 1, will those other parts reimport when I do another import? (I'm guessing it will ask me if I want to though?)
It will not import any information when it locates an existing link to that file, even if the link is part 5 of a series in a single book.
Can I use the beta version if I purchased through the App Store?
Yes, as long as you ran the Mac Store version once the beta version can validate the Mac Store receipt as well.
Can I just move the current version to another location, rather than deleting it?
I would keep the beta version in another location and keep the Mac App Store version in Applications (to avoid confusion). The Mac App Store will only update the Mac App Store downloaded version, so it's easier to keep that version and use the beta version for the imports. Once a new version is out the changes in the beta will be included in the new version from the Mac App Store.

But in the end any setup your comfortable with is okay, as you can always download new copies of the beta version and the Mac App Store version when you desire.
meandmyhouse
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by meandmyhouse »

Thank you. I will try that if I need to import anything else before the beta becomes the update.