Complex view queries

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
DJRumpy
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Complex view queries

Post by DJRumpy »

Is there any way to create a smart collection, based on whether or not a disc is listed within another smart collection, collection, or library? I've been trying to do this with the query builder but I'm not having much luck.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Complex view queries

Post by Conor »

The rule is "collection name" is/is not "exact name of the other collection".
DJRumpy
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by DJRumpy »

I have one setup like this already, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to work. I have two rules setup as follows:

[Collection Name = "Blu-Ray Only"]
'Media' contains 'Blu-Ray'
Collection Name is 'Library'
Match all

[Collection Name = "DVD"]
'Media' contains 'DVD'
Collection Name is not 'Blu-Ray Only'
Match all

I have a title in my Library called Lifeforce, that I have both a DVD and a Blu-Ray copy of. I still see it in the DVD view. The idea being I build a view of DVD titles of which I do not have a Blu-Ray copy of that title yet.

THanks
DJRumpy
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by DJRumpy »

I suspect it may let you define rules based on your 'Library' and against regular Collections, but not against smart collections. I have smart collections for example that say things like 'show me all disks that are currently in my library, but not in my wish list collection (purchases I want but haven't bought yet). That works fine.

It seems like criteria based against another smart collection isn't quite working.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

The smart collection rules apply to the single entry and not to other entries that might have the same name. So although you have a Lifeforce that is Blu-ray in the Blu-ray only collection it's not the same as the DVD version. Hence Lifeforce (DVD) is in "Library" as is not in "Blu-ray Only" and is media "DVD" so it will always appear in the DVD collection.

The way I can come up right now to do what you request is to use build a relationship between the Blu-ray and the DVD version. Select both movies and then drag them from the list view while holding down the option key over the details view. This will link both movies to each other, the link type by default is "DVDpedia". So you could then add the following to the smart collection.

[Collection Name = "DVD"]
'Media' contains 'DVD'
Any link type is not DVDpedia.
Match all

You could also use a custom field and setting a value to indicate that it has a Blu-ray/DVD counterpart and base the smart rule on that. I do not believe there is away to list the missing DVDs without blu-ray version without explicitly adding that information in some way.
DJRumpy
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by DJRumpy »

I suspected as much. I'll try the first method and link the two.

Possibly a future enhancement to do comparison operators of items in the library, collections, smart collections based on a field like Title?

Thanks!