Gamepedia and Board Games

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
SteveH

Gamepedia and Board Games

Post by SteveH »

I'm having trouble adding board games to Gamepedia. When I try to add a board game, the initial results only search for video games. If I then select a BoardGameGeek search from the list of options using the dropdown, the results are inconsistent. Sometimes I get hits, sometimes not. Even when I know the game is listed at BoardGameGeek. For example, Monopoly generates numerous results, but Castle Panic does not get a single hit. Even when I get results, selecting one of the games listed only updates some of the fields in the dialog. In particular, the image and the platform stay with whatever the default video game hit was.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Gamepedia and Board Games

Post by Conor »

I believe your updating an existing game instead of adding a brand new board game. If you already have a game in your database or a search results and then add more results from under the gear button (bottom right), then data will be updated with any extra information instead of replaced. This is in order to gather information from multiple sites for a single item.

The correct way to search for a board game would be to click on the magnifying glass in the find window (Command-f) and change the search site to the Board Game Geeks that is the ultimate resource on board games and then search for "Castle Panic". It should be the first result, with the extra results being add-on packs for the same game. Doghouse also has a few board games and you can select that from the magnifying glass as well and then switch the media to Board Games in the options that appear, but it's nothing as extensive as Board Game Geeks.

Gamepedia will remember your preferences and you will only have to change sites, when your done adding board games and want to add some video games.
SteveH

Re: Gamepedia and Board Games

Post by SteveH »

That looks like it worked. The trick is apparently narrowing the search to just Board Game Geek first. I was originally searching all sources, then attempting to narrow the search.

Thanks.