Importing "Copies" data from Books application

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
KiwiJen
Contributor
Contributor

Importing "Copies" data from Books application

Post by KiwiJen »

I have been using the Books application from Chris Karr for many years and now need to move my library to a new application.
I have downloaded the trial version of Bookpedia and it looks very good especially as I want to seemlessly sync my Mac library with my iPod and iPad.

My problem is that the Copies data does not import from the XML file. Can you tell me please if or what field names I need to use to map dateAcquired, location, presentValue and source. The following code is from the Books Export.xml file.

<copy dateAcquired="1989-03-15 12:00:00 +0000" location="Maygrove" presentValue="NZ$ 4.95" source="Whitcoulls"></copy>

Thanks for your help. Once I have found a solution to this import problem I will be ready to purchase the full product and import all my library.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Importing "Copies" data from Books application

Post by Conor »

Glad to hear you choose Bookpedia. Please try out the Bookpedia Beta for running the import.

Thank you so much for the XML details. Without the full file I could not test out the update, but the beta should now import this information into price, purchased on and purchased at fields (location should have already been included in the pre-beta).

Bookpedia being a single copy per entry will only import the first copy element found. So if you have multiple copies of a book you will have to manually take those into account.
KiwiJen
Contributor
Contributor

Post by KiwiJen »

:D :D :D :D
I cannot describe how happy I am at your response Conor.

You are correct that Location imported before. The Beta version works perfectly and my 25 book sample data is importing correctly. I am so grateful. I only have a single copy per book so I have no manual data to add.

As this is a Beta version, can I now register it and start importing all my data?

I am super impressed at the support your company has provided and will tell everyone I know how wonderful your company and product is.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Glad I was able to fix the import.

You can indeed register the beta version. The open beta is quite stable and has more updates than the regular version (there is no ignoring updates messages in the beta). With the import done you can also move back to the regular version if you prefer to update with less frequency.

Thank you for spreading the word. Word of mouth keeps us employed doing what we love.
KiwiJen
Contributor
Contributor

Post by KiwiJen »

I have imported all 1450 books into Bookpedia and have enjoyed creating smart collections. I have learn't a lot just by trying out all the different options. It has been fun, thanks Conor. I will stay with the Beta version if you think that will be stable.