DVDpedia 4.6.8 & recent OS X versions, including Mavericks?

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
ScottH
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

DVDpedia 4.6.8 & recent OS X versions, including Mavericks?

Post by ScottH »

I've held onto DVDpedia 4.6.8 for a while now, and have also stayed with Snow Leopard, for various reasons. For DVDpedia, it's completely due to the Amazon mess. I still want to use the Amazon lookup without the bizarre complex nonsense that Amazon now makes you do. I have over a thousand DVDs in my DVDpedia, and I use it just about daily. I've avoided the Lions because I didn't want or need any of the new features, and I hate the direction they've gone in (more toward making our Macs big iPads, with less user control and more Apple control).

But one of these days I'm going to have to buy a new Mac, and it'll come with Mavericks, and I'll have to use it whether I like it or not. So I'm wondering--will that be the end of 4.6.8 for me, as well? Will I have no choice but to upgrade to the 5.x line?

Can anyone tell me if 4.6.8 works at all in Mavericks, or what the problems might be? Or is this a crazy idea?

Thanks.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: DVDpedia 4.6.8 & recent OS X versions, including Maveric

Post by Conor »

There are only two issues with 4.6.8 and Mavericks that you can easily work around. One is the animation when clicking on a link if using the internal web view. The fix is to open links in an external browser. This does leave the Statistics with a smaller window to look at the statistics at, but can also be fixed by dragging the divider and making the details view large before going into Statistics.

The second issue is the + and - minus buttons in the credits and links tab do not work when clicked. But the keyboard shortcut of command-r and delete key do work to add or remove credits without clicking.

I'll see if I can port the fixes back to 4.6.8 on a quiet day so that it can be 100% Mavericks ready. Although the animation fix does require access to new API's in Mavericks that I am not sure the old Xcode that still support Snow Leopard will let me target.
ScottH
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: DVDpedia 4.6.8 & recent OS X versions, including Maveric

Post by ScottH »

Thanks! I had no idea that the problems would be so minor.