Trouble Syncing from Pedias to PocketPedia

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
iPhill

Trouble Syncing from Pedias to PocketPedia

Post by iPhill »

Hi,

I have been using GamePedia,CDpedia and DVDpedia and syncing to Pocketpedia for quite some time now and love the software.

Now when i make a change on any pedia and then sync to pocketpedia, my changes are not syncing.

on Pocketpedia the app starts the sync and then syncs my whole collection (if i sync again after that it will sync the whole colleciton again). When its completed the new addition is not present, this happens for items in my wishlist which have been moved to my collection or as well as new entries.

I have tried deleting pocketpedia from my phone reinstalling the app then resyncing, which not fix the problem.

If it helps i recently did a clean install of Mavericks on my iMac and restored it with time machine.

Thanks.
Phill
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Trouble Syncing from Pedias to PocketPedia

Post by Conor »

Hi Phil,

Thank you for the details, especially for mentioning the extra information such as the clean install from Mavericks and the restore. I think what your seeing is an old Mavericks issue that should have been addressed by Apple as well as by the latest release of the Pedias. The issue is that without warning Core Data on Mavericks is now doing a write ahead file by default. This means that new information to the database is not really merged with the database until there are several changes. You can verify that this with the presence of a "Database.gamepd-wal" file in your Data Folder.

To fix run the program called "Terminal" found in your /Applications/Utilities folder and copy paste the following lines into it, each followed by a return:

Code: Select all

sqlite3 ~/Library/Application\ Support/Gamepedia/Database.gamepd
VACUUM;
.exit
Now restart Gamepedia and try the sync with Pocketpedia again. Everything should run smoothly with the latest Pedia versions after that as no write ahead file should be created. Do make a backup of your data folder before doing the above. Although nothing should happen it's always good to have a backup before modifying the database like this.

Repeat the three lines above in Terminal for the other Pedias as well and simply replace the first line for:

Code: Select all

sqlite3 ~/Library/Application\ Support/DVDpedia/Database.dvdpd
sqlite3 ~/Library/Application\ Support/CDpedia/Database.cdpd
iPhill

Post by iPhill »

Thanks Conor for getting back to me so quickly on a solution. This solution worked perfectly and my Pedias are working as expected.

This software is just as awesome as its support.
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

Yes Conor Thanks I too just had the same problem. (after pointing out the fix to Stoom)

This I think was due to the fact I have just set up a brand new 27" iMac (32Gb RAM) 3.2GHZ & 1Tb fusion drive :D :D, with Mavericks 10.9.1 and starting from scratch I used 'Carbon Copy Cloner" (my grandfather backup) to bring over only the stuff I wanted from my venerable 7 yr old 24" iMac (4Gb RAM) - gripes what a difference in operability and speed. The old machine was scrubbed and sits in the bedroom as a TV receiver and general media player. Also bought the Super Drive and the latest 2Tb Airport Time Capsule which gives my home network the latest boost in speed using the Ultra-fast 802.11ac Wi-Fi.

Cheers
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Congratulations on the new iMac. Both the difference in speed and the thinness of the new design are enjoyable. The fusion drive makes a quantifiable difference, more than the CPU. I recently upgraded my MacBook Pro to a solid state drive and now everything seems to take only about a quarter of the time it used to.

The Mavericks bugs show up for those that upgraded Mavericks before The Pedias or were early adopters of Mavericks. Luckily the wall file issue is self repairing after a while ( about 40 new entries later Mavericks will merge in the wall file and then honors The Pedia's request not to create an external file). The fast fix via Terminal is also not too complicated.

Thank you for pointing out Stoom to the thread, especially since I been engrossed in work and not been on the forum in a few days. Unfortunately, I think his issue is a much rarer one, that only one other single users with a very large CDpedia database has also reported.

What I am missing is the new Wi-Fi, takes ages sometimes to sync or get files on the Apple TV. Although with so many devices, I'll need to run in backwards compatible mode.