database lost (restore frome Iphone?)

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
dromert

database lost (restore frome Iphone?)

Post by dromert »

Hi dear helpers,

Due to a computercrash I lost my database (on my Mac). However I still have the database in Pocketpedia on my Iphone.
When I hit the option key in DVDpedia and choose the option Pocketpedia in the help menu I have three options: 'import', 'backup' and 'restore' (plus the possibility to mark 'old connection)...
Which of them should I use to get the database back into my computer, taken from the Iphone?

Help would e greatly appreciated!
Cheers, Peter
Nora
Site Admin

Re: database lost (restore frome Iphone?)

Post by Nora »

It is possible to import your data from Pocketpedia to DVDpedia but it's not really meant as a backup so it won't be a perfect replica of your database but it'll be near enough.

Pocketpedia is included in the backup that is done to iTunes. To get it out of there, use this application http://supercrazyawesome.com to extract the backup file for Pocketpedia3. Press "Read Backups" and select the device in question and then look for "com.bruji.pocketpedia3". Select that file and extract it to your desktop, the file you are looking for will be in a folder called 'Private Documents'.

Rename the file "Pocketpedia.dvdpd" found in there to "Database.dvdpd" and drag the file into your ~/Library/Application Support/DVDpedia folder while DVDpedia is NOT running. (If there's already a Database.dvdpd file in there, replace it.)

If you don't see the ~/Library/ folder in Home you can use the Finder's 'Go' menu, hold down the Option key and the Library folder will appear.

The only drawback is that you won't get any images for your entries since they get compressed to a very small size in Pocketpedia. You'll have to either use the 'Download from' command found under the contextual menu in the cover image well at the bottom left of the main window or, even better, use the little gear button in the edit window to download advanced info and a cover image for each entry. Otherwise the 'Update from > Doghouse' command under the Movie menu is pretty good about matching entries, so you could do larger batches of entries at once.
dromert

Re: database lost (restore frome Iphone?)

Post by dromert »

Hi Nora,
Thank you so much for your help! I'm so happy, it worked!
Just one remark: the file that supposedly would be named "Pocketpedia.dvdpd" was, strangely enough, already named "Database.dvdpd".
Thanks again and cheers :)
Peter