Is there an easy way to backup data?

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
SteveFitz
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Is there an easy way to backup data?

Post by SteveFitz »

I have searched, and can find lots of references to ~Library. I confess I'm nervous about accessing hidden menus, they're hidden from me for a reason! I did have a peek, but ran away very quickly, there seem to be all sorts of cdpd files in there and wouldn't know which one to use - they seem to have multiplied, with ones for cover, ones for something else - I can't remember what.

Clicking the export button brings up other options - but which one to chose? One exports a collection in xml???? one creates a .zip archive. The others? No idea.

So, for a simple Mac user, who has only just mastered the complexities of Dropbox, is there a button called back-up that will let me back up to an available folder on my Mac, from where I can copy to to iCloud, Dropbox or even a memory stick. Simplicity is why I went the Mac rote after all

I don't have a current backup and with the amount of time I have invested recording my collection I feel suddenly very vulnerable.

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Is there an easy way to backup data?

Post by Conor »

For simplicity we highly recommend TimeMachine and/or Backblaze. This way your entire Mac is backed up including all your CDs without having to think about copying the data on a periodic basis.

To do it yourself select "File -> Export" and select the "Backup" tab and press the export and save the file to where you would like to back it up. It will be in .zip format to save space and keep it as a single file.

The above is equivalent to copying the folder "CDpedia" from ~/Library/Application Support/ that some users prefer doing as it's less magical and they can see all their covers. Also because it's not compressed it allows you to use the backup directly on another computer to view your data on the go via Dropbox, USB stick or an external drive.