Multiple IMDBs entries

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
birdack81
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Multiple IMDBs entries

Post by birdack81 »

Hello,

I'm finally getting down to business and completely updating my DVD library with scanned covers and correct infos. I have a question regarding the IMDb field for updating info on cast. How would you deal with "Collection Edition" such as this, for example?

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Complet ... 003ZSJ212/

Because obviously you have more than one movie inside it but you can only use one IMDb entry to use for update. Is it possible to have a recursive update over more than one value (multiple entries like for director or starring field) or just do it manually and change it for each movie so that I end up having the proper infos regarding directors, writers and cast? I'm completely open to suggestion since I'm kinda stuck on how to catalogue such editions.

Thanks for the help and for the great app you provide us all.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Multiple IMDBs entries

Post by Conor »

DVDpedia is movie oriented, so I personally enter each movie and then link all the entries together and use a custom field to state the fact that they are part of a box set. Specially since it's hard to jam all this information into a single entry, not only the actors but things as individual durations.

Another option is to add both the box set and individual films and then just link the individual films to the box set and not between them. You could even modify the sorting to push individual film to the bottom or even store them in an excluded collection so that they are not part of your library but the information is still accessible from the box set via a link in the details.

The "sort title" field is very powerful in this case allowing you to keep movies together as a unit as well as in order. I.e. "Star Wars 1", "Star Wars 2", "Star Wars 3".

To link movies select them all and hold down the option key and drag the selection over the details view. This will link all the selected movies together. (Without the option key would be to link in one direction only to the box set. The dragged movies are linker to the shown movie in the details view, i.e. the last selection.)
birdack81
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Re: Multiple IMDBs entries

Post by birdack81 »

Thank you very much Connor.

I personally do something similar: add both single movies as well as the box set. Then the sorting is forced to my liking. I did not know about the linking the movie together and that's exactly the kind of thing that I was looking for.

Thanks again for the help and for the great program you gave us.