Classical "Works" vs. Classical "Tracks"

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
debi0904

Classical "Works" vs. Classical "Tracks"

Post by debi0904 »

Can anyone tell me if it's possible (or will be in the future) to cull "works" information from classical CDs instead of "tracks"?

In other words, I want to show the following. This info is on Amazon's web pages, so I know Amazon has it...just not sure if they are giving the info away, or whether I can anticipate it in the future in Bruji.

============
THIS:
============

1. Violin Concerto ("La Primavera", The Four Seasons) for violin, strings & continuo in E ("Il cimento" No. 1), Op.8/1, RV 269

2. Violin Concerto ("L'estate", The Four Seasons) for violin, strings & continuo in G minor, Op. 8/2, RV 315

3. Violin Concerto ("L'autunno", The Four Seasons), for violin, strings & continuo in F major ("Il cimento" No. 3), Op.8/3, RV 293

4. Violin Concerto ("L'inverno", The Four Seasons), for violin, strings & continuo in F minor ("Il cimento" No. 4) Op. 8/4, RV 297

=================
NOT this:
=================

1. Concerto In E Major - Spring: Allegro
2. Concerto In E Major - Spring: Largo
3. Concerto In E Major - Spring: Allegro
4. Concerto In G Minor - Summer: Allegro Non Molto - Allegro
5. Concerto In G Minor - Summer: Adagio
6. Concerto In G Minor - Summer: Presto
7. Concerto In F Major - Autumn: Allegro
8. Concerto In F Major - Autumn: Adagio Molto
9. Concerto In F Major - Autumn: Allegro
10. Concerto In F Minor - Winter: Allegro Non Molto
11. Concerto In F Minor - Winter: Largo
12. Concerto In F Minor - Winter: Allegro
debi0904

Post by debi0904 »

I noticed that allmusic.com seems to store classical "performances" instead of "tracks". (As stated in my original post, tracks are completely useless for classical music...who wants to hear *part* of Vivaldi's Spring concerto, for example). Any possibility of an allmusic.com import for CDPedia in the future? Or would Bruji or anyone else be willing to write a custom plug-in for this? Don't know if it will happen or not, but I saw in MacWorld 3/2005 that "Delicious Library" says this is a possibility for a future version. But I like Bruji CDPedia better, so I'm hoping it will happen here, as well.
debi0904

Post by debi0904 »

I also noticed that Bruji has an option to search Tower Records, which does keep track of "performances" in addition to "tracks" just like allmusic.com does. However, Bruji only brings in the tracks. Could there be an option to bring in the performances too/instead? They'd fit right there where the tracks are if need be.

Searching on Tower is also pretty hard, and I haven't quite figured it out. How can I possibly locate, say, "Vivaldi: Four Seasons" with "Isaac Stern, Pinchas Zukerman, Itzhak Perlman, Shlomo Mintz" on "Detusche Grammophon" (UPC 028941921420). I can't seem to find it on Tower or FreeDB.

Thanks muchly in advance.
hcdarmara

Classical works vs tracks -- CDpedia vs iTunes

Post by hcdarmara »

I have edited the track information on many cds in iTunes -- I change the Album information to reflect the work, then the tracks usually settle in just fine within each work. If I were to import this information into CDpedia, would it override the edited album information? Would it be confused?

I don't mind (much) having to type it in myself, but I don't see how it can be added to CDpedia. It's really a subset of the CD; tracks then become a subset of "work".

Amazon also carries "works" information -- it's just that there's no where to put it that makes any sense.

This is analogous to the anthology problem in Bookpedia -- What is it that we're cataloging -- the box (cd), the work (whether on 1 cd or 1/2 of a cd) or the "song" (which is meaningless in classical works).