Upgraded to 5.3 but "the file couldn't be opened."

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.

Upgraded to 5.3 but "the file couldn't be opened."

Postby cdfeerer » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:00 pm

Hello.
I currently maintain 2 DVDpedia libraries. I have both version 4 and version 5 loaded on my machine. I updated my database using the 4.6.8 version and then deleted the database.dvdpd file from the application support file. when I reopened DVDpedia version 5 I got the usual "checking database" message then the "updating database" message. However, then a window popped up that said "This file couldn't be opened." I can't even open the application to try to manually import the database because it closes as soon as I click okay on the error message box. This procedure was working seamlessly for me before. This morning i upgraded to 5.3 so now I am wondering if this could be the issue. I tried to redownload the software but got the same error. Any assistance would be great.

Thanks,
Calli
cdfeerer
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:12 pm

Re: Upgraded to 5.3 but "the file couldn't be opened."

Postby Conor » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:07 pm

Hi Calli,

With Mavericks make sure to delete both Database.dvdpd and any new support files that Mavericks creates called "Database.dvdpd-wal" and "Database.dvdpd-shm". If the migration still fails when you launch version 5, do please send me via email your Database.pediadata so that I can try the migration here and find out what the issue might be. Could you also have a look at your console log, see if there are any messages from DVDpedia? You can access the console log via the application 'Console', located inside your Applications/Utilities. The newer messages are towards the end of the log.
User avatar
Conor
Top Dog
 
Posts: 5273
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:58 pm

Re: Upgraded to 5.3 but "the file couldn't be opened."

Postby cdfeerer » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:20 pm

Conor,

I made sure the files you mentioned were deleted and I still received the "couldn't open" error. There are several items in the console related to dvdpedia:

8/13/14 1:13:55.408 PM DVDpedia[5493]: CoreData: error: (14) I/O error for database at /Users/Calli/Library/Application Support/DVDpedia/Database.dvdpd. SQLite error code:14, 'unable to open database file'

What is your email address? I will send you my database.pediadata file.

Thanks for your quick response!
cdfeerer
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:12 pm

Re: Upgraded to 5.3 but "the file couldn't be opened."

Postby Conor » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:52 pm

You will find the email address on the support page.
User avatar
Conor
Top Dog
 
Posts: 5273
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:58 pm

Re: Upgraded to 5.3 but "the file couldn't be opened."

Postby cdfeerer » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:09 pm

Hi Conor. I have great news! I upgraded to Yosemite last night and now my issue of "file couldn't be opened "is gone! It must have just been Mavericks, like you said. Thanks so much for your help along the way.

Calli
cdfeerer
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:12 pm

Re: Upgraded to 5.3 but "the file couldn't be opened."

Postby Conor » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:10 am

That is great news. Will be one radar bug I will finally be able to close with Apple.
User avatar
Conor
Top Dog
 
Posts: 5273
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:58 pm


Return to Support

cron