Another Hard Drive crashed...syncing questions

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
suzoz
Contributor
Contributor

Another Hard Drive crashed...syncing questions

Post by suzoz »

Last time i had hard drive failure, I ended up wiping out my entire pedia file on my iPhone when I tried syncing the phone to an empty database on my Mac. If I enter a handful of entries on the Mac version and then sync, will it consider all the entries on my phone or iPad as changes to the Mac file, thereby putting all of the current database on the Mac, or will it kick it out and wipe my mobile database again?
Nora
Site Admin

Re: Another Hard Drive crashed...syncing questions

Post by Nora »

No, the entries won't be merged. You need to delete the database folder on the Mac (Without DVDpedia running) before synching from the iPhone. After that just sync Pocketpedia normally using the 'Sync' button, since it won't see two distinct database it will import the entries from the iPhone.

If for some reason that sync doesn't work, do NOT sync again but instead quit DVDpedia and go into your DVDpedia data folder (By default located in your Home folder under ~/Library/Application Support/DVDpedia. If you don't see the ~/Library/ folder in Home you can use the Finder's 'Go' menu, hold down the Option key and the Library folder will appear.) and rename the file "Pocketpedia.dvdpd" to "Database.dvdpd". Then restart DVDpedia and you'll see your database from the iPhone in DVDpedia. With the latest version of Pocketpedia (Pocketpedia3) the databases are the same format and can be moved in this way.

If you need to preserve the few entries on the Mac already, be sure to export them as a .dvdpedia file and you can import them later with a double click.