Help with moving Bookpedia Database to New Mac

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
stoney77

Help with moving Bookpedia Database to New Mac

Post by stoney77 »

I recently purchased a new iMac and have been trying to copy my Bookpedia data from my old computer. I copied everything over to the new Mac and opened Bookpedia. All my data seems to be there with no problem, but when I try to save anything new or try to close Bookpedia, I get the following message box:

Action Required:

Part of the path to the database file is not writable; check the permissions on /Users/MYNAME/Library/Application Support/Bookpedia/Database.bookpd. Data was not saved.

Can you please tell me how to fix this. Thank you.
Alex
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: Help with moving Bookpedia Database to New Mac

Post by Alex »

For some strange reason you can't write to that folder, it might have been the way it was copied over that it retained permissions for your old user. In any case, the fix is simple:

1. go to the Finder and select Go menu-> Go to Folder
2. copy/paste this line below in the window that appears:
~/Library/Application Support/Bookpedia/
3. this will take you to your Bookpedia folder
4. again in the Finder, choose File-> Get Info
5. at the end of the little window that appears you'll see the heading Sharing & Permissions
6. make sure your new user is the owner of the folder and that you have Read & Write under Privilege
7. click the little gear button at the bottom of that window and select Apply to enclosed items...

If you can't make any changes to the permissions, first click on the little lock icon on the bottom right of that same window to make sure the Finder lets you change permissions on that folder.

This should take care of the problem.