DVDpedia - still having problems setting up Amazon

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
Melusine

DVDpedia - still having problems setting up Amazon

Post by Melusine »

I set up an Amazon AWS account a while ago, but I could never get it to generate an access key and secret access key because the Amazon site was different than the DVDpedia instructions, and Amazon seemed to be going through a lot of changes at the time with their AWS. So I tried again tonight and found you can generate a new key, but are unable to find out the secret key for the root user. Since I was never able to generate a key or secret key in the first place, I have no idea what my secret key is. I tried creating an IAM user, which did generate both keys, but when inputting that info along with my associate ID into DVDpedia I get the following message: Your AccessKey Id is not registered for Product Advertising API. Please use the AccessKey Id obtained after registering at https://affiliate-program.amazon.com/gp ... gn-in.html. I went to the url and was basically back where I started.

I'm totally confused and not sure how to fix this.

Suggestions?
Conor
Top Dog

Re: DVDpedia - still having problems setting up Amazon

Post by Conor »

By logging in at the URL given in the error message, it will automatically link the associate ID with that AWS account. However at the moment the Associate API does not support IAM users, and you have to use a key for the root user. They sort of hide the root user making it complicated to find where to create those root keys. But It should be at this link for the security credential's to the root user. This is actually the link given in the "Manage Your Account" in the Associate panel site as another way to find it (I think it might also be under the user name in the AWS console on the top right).

There will be a pop up warning that it's better to use IAM users, click on the "Continue to Security Credentials" and then click on the third option "Access Keys" and click "create new access" keys to create keys that will be usable with the Associate API and hence DVDpedia.

Sorry that it's so confusing on the Amazon site. Will try to update the walkthrough and latest help to make it clear with the above link to the root user credentials.