Custom field names for importing

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
PabloM

Custom field names for importing

Post by PabloM »

Dear all,

After considering a million alternatives, I'm moving from Ant Movie Catalog to DVDPedia. Mostly because of the great amount of support (here) and customization options (when importing).

I'm still fiddling with the options to import all my data, and I have been reading these forums a lot, finding interesting stuff to import some data that I had earlier (for example, naming the custom fields "Megabytes" or "Height in Pixels" when importing from CSV). I am still struggling with figuring out how to format some of the incoming data to better suit DVDPedia's importer, and for each challenge, I am finding interesting information from Connor here and there when responding to user queries.

Now, long story short: Is there somewhere a reference list of all the field names that the importer will recognize?

Many thanks!
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Custom field names for importing

Post by Conor »

Hi Pablo,

Very glad to hear that you choose DVDpedia out of all the options out there. Here is a semi complete list of all the fields, it's meant for exporting but works as a reference. Semi complete since there are some extra keywords that DVDpedia will try to be smart about, such as map runtime to duration, but you need not worry about those.

In fact if the import is CSV you need not worry about any, as DVDpedia will give you the chance to set up the mapping from the CSV file to the fields in DVDpedia. It will even save the mapping so that you can test it out with a small set and then repeat it and tweak it without having to set up all the fields again, if you want to move data around. For best result do make sure that the first row of the CSV file to import is a header row with the names of the fields. It will allow DVDpedia to map all the ones with the same name and leave the rest for you to set up to matching fields in DVDpedia or custom fields.

Once you have the data in DVDpedia the "Movie -> Update from -> Doghouse" works really well to add more details and covers to selection. IT's good about doing exact matches as it's under our control, others can be less strict and match an incorrect movie. So for adding data from other sites we recommend the gear button at the bottom of the edit window that lets you preview/select and cancel a more info addition.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Conor didn't mention it but just in case that might make things even easier, there's also a direct importer from Ant Catalog into DVDpedia. Just export your data in XML format and make sure the cover images are in the same folder as your Ant Movie Catalog .xml data file. Then just drag the exported XML file over the DVDpedia icon in your Dock to start the import.
PabloM

Post by PabloM »

Hi Conor, Nora,

Many thanks to both of you for your responses. I was tinkering with XML files originally and did not notice about the possibility of matching fields. That helps even more.

I will tinker a bit more and get back here if I stumble.

Best regards,
Pablo.