Splitting/duplicating Bookpedia Library?

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
DrBoar

Splitting/duplicating Bookpedia Library?

Post by DrBoar »

Roughly halfway through putting in my books into bookpedia, I have second thoughts about having one big library. I have about equal numbers of books in english and swedish and I would prefer, for various reasons, to have them separate. The plan would be to duplicate the library and then weed out the swedish referenses in one copy and the english in the other, rather than starting from scratch.

I did not find any duplicate function. The option seem to be exporting to myself and then importing?
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Splitting/duplicating Bookpedia Library?

Post by Conor »

You could separate entries into a new collection and even excluded from the library, so that everything is in the same database. If you want separate databases, you can duplicate the the data folder and then you can remove the bits you don't want from each database.

Here is a forum post about creating another data folder. Except instead of renaming the data folder, duplicate it so that you get two copies of the data.
DrBoar

Post by DrBoar »

Thanks for the fast reply!
After reading your reply I reread the manual. I then realized that all can be done by Smart Collections. The good news is that I can have many Smart Collections where every booke can be a member of several Smart Collections at the same time. This is much better than splitting the database. The bad news is that automatic sorting means that the annotation has to be consistent, and that will be my task to keep it that way :shock:
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

The autofill helps keeping things consistent. Also the autofill "rebuild" button for the particular field in the Preferences pane under the autofill tab is useful to find any stragglers. As it will rebuild all the values from the current database and you can quickly spot and any value that should not be there.