Sync between Macs

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
Detlev
Inductee
Inductee

Sync between Macs

Post by Detlev »

Hello,

i am new to bookpedia: I can not find out if is possible to sync my database between my iMac and my Macbook.

any help would be appriciated

Detlev
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Sync between Macs

Post by Conor »

Hi Detlev,

To share the database between Macs you can use any shared location. Most users use Dropbox or iCloud, but it can also be a local server or mourning the hard drive from one computer on the other. Then both computers are reading the same data folder.

You would move your data folder from ~/Library/Application Support/Bookpedia to this shared location and then launch Bookpedia holding down option to select the new location. I personally use Dropbox and can recommend it, but you can replace iCloud for Dropbox in the instructions below. I mention only Bookpedia as you asked but the steps are the same for the other pedias should others read this post.

If you don't already have Dropbox, it a convenient program that automatically keeps a folder in sync across a number of computers via the Cloud. It's a free service up to 2 gigabytes (much more than you would need for all 4 Pedias). If you are signing up for the first time use this link, I get a 500 megabyte bonus on my own account.

1. Place the pedia data folder in Dropbox or iCloud.
  • • On the first Mac
    • Quit Bookpedia on both Macs.
    • Hold down the option (alt) key and click on the "Go" menu in the Finder. Select "Library" menu command. (Only appears as the option is held down).
    • Open the folder named "Application Support"
    • Look for "Bookpedia" folder.
    • Move it over to "Dropbox" folder in your home folder.
You are done, now give it a few minutes and it will upload all the data from Bookpedia onto the cloud. You can tell by watching the Dropbox folder and a "green check mark" will appear over files as they are synced. You can also click on the new icon on the menu bar of a little box, that will tell you what files are being updated and should read "up to date" once everything is done.

2. Read the same data on the other Mac.
  • • Open the computer and automatically Dropbox should start downloading the latest changes. Give it a few minutes until it also says up to date or the "Bookpedia" folder inside Dropbox folder has a green check mark.
    • Hold down the option key and start up Bookpedia on your other Mac.
    • Click the 'Choose database' button, navigate to the new data folder location in Dropbox and select the Database.bookpd file.
    • You need only do this once, after that opening up Bookpedia will read the data from that location.
All set. You are now reading data from a shared location. To verify that you are reading data from the same location you can use "Bookpedia -> Preference" menu command and the bottom of the new window will display the data path. They should all be exactly the same and include Dropbox in the path.

Dropbox also has the advantage of keeping version of the file automatically, so it's in essence doing a backup of your file as you go. But you are correct that with that much work put into the cataloging, you should have another external backup. Every once in a while simply make a copy of these data folders now in dropbox to your USB drive or external hard drive.

Word of caution, Bookpedia does a lot of caching so when not in use it's best to quit Bookpedia, so that next time you open it it reads the file anew. Since you won't be in two places at once, Bookpedia will not have to deal with merging data coming in from two computers.

Hope that makes sense and you are able to get sync setup and going. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. And if you want to take another route let me know and I can describe steps for that.
vjl
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by vjl »

I did not realize one could successfully relocate the bookpedia database to Dropbox - that is great! One thing you mentioned at the end, though - "since you won't be in 2 places at once..."....well, what if I am? :)

Would a user on computer 1 be able to add books to the database while a different user on computer 2 updates book entries?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Would a user on computer 1 be able to add books to the database while a different user on computer 2 updates book entries?
For the most part.

When changes happen at both sides Dropbox tries to merge them. For this to work the changes have to be far away from each other, adding entries, editing entries (not the same one). Once you start changing collections, likely hood that the changes will collide is big. When that happens, the last one to make changes overwrites the changes from the other computer.

But because the answer is not a definite, "of course it's okay", I leave it not recommended – for now. With the next version that is 10.12 only I will then be a able to poll Dropbox and iCloud for changes reliably and update within seconds, making the possibility of a simultaneous edit so slim that the answer will then be, "of course it's okay".
vjl
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by vjl »

Thanks, Conor! I look forward to the next version! :) It could be possible that 2 users would be working on books in the same collection [one editing an entry, adding sales data to it, and one adding an entry to the collection].

I keep multiple backups of the Bookpedia database, but even so, I'd rather not chance it until the answer is, "of course it's okay" :)

Is the next version that is 10.12 only, version 6.0, or something beyond that?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

The 10.12 and above requirement is coming with the 6.0 version.
ninji
Captain
Captain

Post by ninji »

Conor wrote:The 10.12 and above requirement is coming with the 6.0 version.
That sounds great, looking forward to it. Will this capability (specifically, being able to poll cloud services (DropBox, iCloud)) in the upcoming v6.0 release enable simultaneous access/editing only between two (or more?) Mac computers, or will it also enable iOS devices to simultaneously (and safely) read/write the Bookpedia database? Or is Bookpedia on iOS a separate matter?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

First step is to enable enable simultaneous access/editing between Macs. If that goes well and no errors are report after a long trial, then extend it to iOS as well. Although there more work is required as changes are tracked differently in the iOS database for faster WiFi syncs.
moses

Post by moses »

Has this better (safer) sync between 2 Macs been implemented by now? We are at v6.2.1
vjl
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by vjl »

moses wrote:Has this better (safer) sync between 2 Macs been implemented by now? We are at v6.2.1
I'd love to know this too, as I am having major data loss using Dropbox [Bookpedia being used on the same Dropbox database on 2 Macs in different physical locations, but Bookpedia is never running on both Macs at the same time, yet data loss is consistent].

I just wrote a more detailed post about this at Cloud Sync between mac apps, PocketPedia on iPhone and on TV as I am hoping that migrating to iCloud Drive will be more reliable.
Last edited by FineWine on Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Improved on link