Before I plunge in...

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
joerg23at
Inductee
Inductee

Before I plunge in...

Post by joerg23at »

Before I plunge in and commit to ...pedia, I have a few quick questions:

1. The iOS App doesn't find any books at all. The Mac app finds it - even if a German book, e.g., but the iOS always comes back with "not found" result. What am I doing wrong?

2. Is there a way to link an item in the CD collection to Apple Music? (or is this a feature that's on the roadmap?)

3. Can I use the CDpedia also for vinyl?

thx
joerg
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Before I plunge in...

Post by Conor »

Thank you for your interest in the Pedias.

1. We use a different set of search plugins on the desktop app. If you look in Sites -> Preferences -> Sites, you will see the full list, while Pocketpedia only has access to Doghouse. I hope to improve Doghouse in the future for non-english titles as it's weak in that area, also maybe add more searches into the iOS app, but Apple is more closed with that can be included on iOS and hence the desktop version are more flexible.

2. Interesting idea to explore for the future. I myself recently made the switch from the files on my computer to Apple Music. CDpedia right now only integrates directly with iTunes and list that for which you have iTunes files. It might actually list Apple Music collections if you have those, but have not tested that; as it should be part of the iTunes data that it provides to CDpedia.

3. Yes, Discogs search site is a favorite with our vinyl collectors and why it came to be in CDpedia.
Hans

Post by Hans »

Hi, I found the same issue. I started scanning barcodes and entering isbn numbers in the ipad app (on my iphone the camera access does not work). Most titles are not found, but on the iMac all titles are found. Syncing works fine. If expanding the search capabilities is a problem, why not execute the search on the mac after syncing?
This way it’s not usable for me as sitting next to my book case with iphone or ipad is so much more convenient than hauling all books to my computer, where scanning with the isight camera also is problematic with most books.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Hi Hans,

Thank you for the feedback. If you are on the same network as Bookpedia, you can tap the Mac icon on the lower right of the video screen and it will send the scan information over to Bookpedia for searching and adding, that has access to a greater number of online databases to search.

I shall get the iPhone camera access bug in iOS 13 fixed with the next update, so that you can use the lighter iPhone for this as well.