Pocketpedia TV only syncing CDpedia content

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
rvaessen
Contributor
Contributor

Pocketpedia TV only syncing CDpedia content

Post by rvaessen »

Hello -

Hopefully someone can help with the problem I'm encountering. I believe this problem may have started occurring in the after-math of the iTunes break-up (aka with macOS 10.15 (Catalina)). Ever since the demise of iTunes (on Macs), I've noticed that my Pocketpedia TV application (version 1.1 on my AppleTV version 13.4) has stopped syncing everything except CDpedia content. If I remember correctly, it used to sync DVDpedia and Bookpedia. I recently (morning of 9 Apr, 2020), deleted the Pocketpedia TV App from my AppleTV, then reinstalled the application. It re-sync'd (grabbing a lot of cover art that was missing as well as updating numerous additions to my collection), but only asked for authorization/sync'd with CDpedia. It never asked for authorization or sync'd content from other 'pedia applications (DVDpedia, and Bookpedia) that I am running on my iMac (w/macOS 10.15.4 (w/supplemental update as of 8 Apr, 2020)). Additionally, while the CDpedia content sync'd over to Pocketpedia TV is current, it doesn't include track listings. It tells me how many tracks a given CD contains, and there are 'blank lines' where the names of the tracks should be, but the lines/track listing is completely blank. Should it be displaying the track names/listing? Is anyone else noticing these issues?

1 - Only syncs with CDpedia
2 - Blank track listings

R. Vaessen
Running macOS 10.15.4 on iMac; iOS 13.4.1; iPadOS 13.4; AppleTV OS 13.4; CDpedia 6.0.1; DVDpedia 6.0.1; Bookpedia 6.0.1; Pocketpedia TV 1.1; Pocketpedia (for iOS/iPadOS) 3.6.2
dballesklar

Re: Pocketpedia TV only syncing CDpedia content

Post by dballesklar »

Hello,

I have the same problem, but vice versa: here the tv app synchs with bookpedia but not with dvdpedia. I also tried a new install of pocketpedia TV without success. Hope there will be help soon. Thank you!

Best regards

Dietrich
dballesklar

Post by dballesklar »

Hello,

only to confirm that I have the same problem, but vice versa, using Bookpedia and DVDpedia, and only bookpedia synchs. I also tried a reinstall which did not change anything. Bookpedia has, however, also lost the covers in pocketpedia tv. I also hope for help. Thank you for all your efforts, Bruji-girls and guys, and your very valuable software.

Best regards

Dietrich
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Thank you for the details. I just purchased a new Apple TV generation 4, so that I can install everything on the new hardware and make sure it's working properly. As I have been updating the sync for Pocketpedia and Pocketpedia, but not testing the Apple TV as it should work on the same system, but clearly something is happening slightly different that needs to be taken into account. If I can repeat it, I'll be a able to get it fixed right away.
dballesklar

Post by dballesklar »

Hi Nora,

thank you for the quick reply. The issue is resolved. I deinstalled pocketpedia again and started the other, i.e. dvdpedia on my mac first which then was synching with pocketpedia tv. After that, and another "swiping the dvdpedia away", and starting bookpedia on the mac, it worked here as well. Now, I can switch between the pedias also on pocketpedia tv as I could before my problems. Whatever the reason it was, it is gone.

Best regards

Dietrich
rvaessen
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rvaessen »

Nora / All -

Given the recent reply in this thread/issue 'dballesklar' (ref posting of Mon May 11, 2020 3:11pm), I just (afternoon of 12 May, 2020 at appx 1320MDT) completed some additional troubleshooting w/regard to the 'Pocketpedia TV' application on my Apple TV.

1 - Uninstalled Pocketpedia application from my AppleTV.
2 - Quit all 'pedia applications running on my computer.
3 - Reinstalled Pocketpedia application onto my AppleTV.
3a - Pocketpedia running on AppleTV, asked me to launch the 'pedia application on my computer in order to initiate a sync.
4 - I launched DVDpedia on my computer.
4a - A pop-up appeared on my computer. It said: "Pocketpedia Sync - Pocketpedia is trying to synchronize data for the first time. Allow the connection?"
4b - I clicked on the 'Allow' button. The dialog window disappeared.
4c - A DVDpedia option was made available on the Pocketpedia app running on my AppleTV
4d - After a few minutes, all my DVDPedia data was synchronized over to the Pocketpedia app on the AppleTV.

5 - I then launched the CDPedia application on my computer.
5a - A pop-up appeared on my computer. It said: "Pocketpedia Sync - Pocketpedia is trying to synchronize data for the first time. Allow the connection?"
5b - I clicked on the 'Allow' button. The dialog window disappeared.
5c - A CDpedia option was made available on the Pocketpedia app running on my AppleTV. Note: When there is more than one 'pedia library sync'd to Pocketpedia, the options appear in the top left corner of Pocketpedia (running on the AppleTV) vs the top center of the application.
5d - After a few minutes, most of my CDPedia data was synchronized over to the Pocketpedia app on the AppleTV. Notably, the problem with the track listing persists. When an album is selected, I am able to see how many tracks are on the album, but the track listing is blank (as initially reported). There are blank lines for each of the missing (or invisible?) tracks (there is always one more blank line than there are tracks for any given album). A line is present for the track (black on black with a drop-shadow when highlighted, and a solid white line/box when selected), but no text is visible (regardless of whether the line is highlighted or selected).

6 - I then launched the Bookpedia application on my computer.
6a - A pop-up appeared on my computer. It said: "Pocketpedia Sync - Pocketpedia is trying to synchronize data for the first time. Allow the connection?"
6b - I clicked on the 'Allow' button. The dialog window disappeared.
6c - A Bookpedia option was made available on the Pocketpedia app running on my AppleTV.
6d - After a few minutes, all my Bookpedia data was synchronized over to the Pocketpedia app on the AppleTV.

I do not own Gamepedia, so no syncing of content from Gamepedia to Pocketpedia was performed. While the 'Subject' of this topic was "Pocketpedia TV only syncing CDpedia content", it is now syncing content from all of my 'pedia applications. As the original poster of this issue, I consider the 'only syncing' CDpedia content resolved for me. Although an update to documentation could explain (during the initial/first launch of Pocketpedia TV) that sync'ing of individual 'pedia desktop applications is initiated by launching the 'pedia applications on a network connected computer in consecutive order after launching Pocketpedia TV for the first time (I'm not sure whether it's necessary to wait between each syncing session (as I did)).

Others may be able to correct syncing issues (between Pocketpedia (for AppleTV) and the 'pedia desktop applications) by following the steps outlined here. Note however that there is still an issue with the CDpedia data not being completely sync'd over to Pocketpedia (see 5d above). This could be moved over to a new topic, but I'm not too concerned with that issue. Perhaps someone else will create a posting/topic for that issue?

R. Vaessen