Can't delete folder from collection in DVDpedia

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
RockyB
Contributor
Contributor

Can't delete folder from collection in DVDpedia

Post by RockyB »

Hi,

I've had a problem for quite some time now. At one point I made a folder and later changed my mind. When I tried to delete it I got an error message saying: "Could not save changes, the database in memory is not in a valid state and will be reloaded from the hard disk" then it gives me the option to "reload", when I press it everything is back the it was, including the unwanted folder. Anyone have any ideas how to get rid of it?

Is there anywhere in the files I can delete it directly? Thanks in advance...
FineWine
Site Admin

Re: Can't delete folder from collection in DVDpedia

Post by FineWine »

This sounds more like a memory or hard disk or solid state drive error than a pedia issue.

What pedia and what version plus what macOS version are you using ?

Here are some things you could try.
1 - Of course always carry out a general machine BACKUP first. Remember that all the pedia's also have the ability to create individual data base backups: File > Export Collection > Backup > Location of your choice. You can also backup just your Data folder found here: ~/Library/Application Support/*****pedia/

2 - Also there are some hidden menu tasks that you can perform: 'hold down the option key and click on the main Help menu in each program once and select - each in turn: 'Verify Database', 'Remove Orphaned Covers' and 'Clean Duplicates in Fields' these may not solve your problems but it wont hurt either.

3 - Have a check for the Crash Logs. You can find the relevant logs in your Home folder under: ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ If you find any there send them of to Bruji Support: support@bruji.com

4 - There is also one other thing you can do and that is to use, what I call a "Grease & Oil Change" maintenance program called Onyx. This is a FREE program that is a multifunction utility that you can use to verify the structure of the system files, to run miscellaneous maintenance and cleaning tasks, to configure parameters in the Finder, Dock, Safari, and some of Apple's applications, to delete caches, to remove certain problematic folders and files, to rebuild various databases and indexes, and more. I always use it prior and post system OS updates and about once a month. Also especially in this case concerning the new macOS 11.0.* Big Sur.

This program is available here: Titanium Software - Onyx. ONLY DOWNLOAD THE VERSION FOR YOUR macOS

It is available in many languages and is regularly updated (about once a month).

5 - Totally shutting your machine down after quitting all programs

THEN:

6 - Reset your SMC by unplugging the power cord or remove the battery, unplug all USB accessories and wait 30 sec. Reattach everything. Wait a few more seconds and power up again.

7 - Finilly reset your PRAM or NVRAM by shutting down and starting up again but as soon as you have pressed the start button hold the following combination of keys together: Command (⌘) + Option (⌥) + P + R, then release the keys after you hear the startup sound for a second time. NOTE: do a dry run to ensure your fingers can reach all four keys at the same time.

8 - have read here: Repair a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

9 - and have read here: Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac

Oh dear I just realised how scary some of the above sounds.Hopefully one or some or all of the above releases the memory loop that may have occurred.

Let the forums know how you get on :D
RockyB
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Can't delete folder from collection in DVDpedia

Post by RockyB »

O holy...! Daunting for sure but thanks A LOT for such a thorough and informative answer. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes when I've tried it all. Thanks again :)