Changing where CDpedia looks for the Music database

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
rpali
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Changing where CDpedia looks for the Music database

Post by rpali »

Does anyone recall how to tell CDpedia that the Music Library.musiclibrary location has changed? In the iTunes days, it was holding the ALT key while selecting "Refresh iTunes Tracks" in the view menu but that no longer works. I cleared the Music Library.musiclibrary file out of the folder CDpedia was referencing but I'm still not prompted for a new location.

I don't want to reinstall, but I guess I can if that's the only way.

Any ideas?
FineWine
Site Admin

Re: Changing where CDpedia looks for the Music database

Post by FineWine »

Apologies for not answering sooner.

1 - Ensure CDpedia is Quit in the Dock.
2 - Now open it again whilst holding the Opt key. Follow the instructions that pop up.
3 - That will ensure that the program is pointing to the correct location of your Database: ~/Library/Application Support/cdpedia/ .

To reimport your Music (iTunes) database
1 - CDpedia > File > Import Playlist from Music > make your selection

To refresh your CDpedia database from Music
1 - CDpedia > View > Refresh Apple Music Tracks

Also there are some hidden menu tasks that you can perform: 'hold down the option key and click on the main Help menu in each program once and select - each in turn: 'Verify Database', 'Remove Orphaned Covers' and 'Clean Duplicates in Fields' these may not solve your problems but it wont hurt either.

If you still have problems and CDpedia isn't picking up the information and are comfortable with using macOS Terminal program then open up Terminal and enter (copy & paste) the following line into the application Terminal, found in Applications/Utilities, followed by a return:

defaults write com.bruji.cdpedia "iTunes Library XML" "xxx"

(Where xxx stands for the path to your iTunes Music XML file, for example: /Users/[User name]/Music/iTunes/iTunes Library.xml)

Let us know how you get on.