Sort order not working?

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
Rodney
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Sort order not working?

Post by Rodney »

Not sure if this is a bug or an issue on my part. I use wishlist in DVDpedia for media I don't own. I sort by title, then by release date. The problem is that it doesn't stay in alphabetical order within the release dates as I expect them to. For example, here are the films that are coming out on May 25th and the strange order that DVDpedia is putting them in:

Athena
The Final Countdown (3-Disc Limited Edition/4K UHD + Blu-ray + CD)
The Groove Tube
The Tender Trap
City Slickers II: The Legend of Curly's Gold
Explorers
Lights of Old Broadway
My Fair Lady
The Night of the Following Day
Nightmare Alley

How can I correct this?
FineWine
Site Admin

Re: Sort order not working?

Post by FineWine »

Have a read of this Help article: Sorting a collection

Also within Preferences > General > Ignore foreign articles during title sort'

Which will not take into account foreign articles such as der, die, das, le, la, el, etc. when sorting entries by title. The program automatically ignores English articles (the, a, an) when sorting. For this setting to take effect you have to re-sort the title column after you've checked the preference so the titles can pick up the new sort method.

For total control over the sort feature, use the 'Sort Title' field. Whatever you enter into that field, that's what the program will take into account when sorting. So if you want "12 Monkeys" to be sorted under Monkey instead of 12, enter M into the Sort Title field of the movie.
Rodney
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Rodney »

Thanks, but I did read that article before I posted, and unless I am sadly mistaken, the english particles don't apply. Why would The Tender Trap be listed BEFORE City Slickers II or Explorers?
I don't have anything in the Sort Title Field.
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

Sorting in the Wish List is working for me for DVDpedia 6.1.0 Beta190

You stated in your first post: "I sort by title, then by release date."

Just to re-emphasise; you need to sort in reverse order to the end result. So in your case you need to sort the "Release Date" column first then the "Title" column last.

HELP FILE ON SORTING:
You can also sort by multiple columns to a depth of 6 columns. When you change column, it sub-sorts by what was last sorted so you want to click on the columns in reverse order i.e. if you want to sort your collection by Director, Genre and My Rating, sort the My Rating column first, then Genre, then Director; the sorting will now be Director, and where those are equal Genre, and where those are equal My Rating.

In my own main DVD Library I sort by: Episode > Season > Series > Title
Rodney
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Rodney »

Sorry if I am not making myself clear.

The objective is to have the items listed in Release Date order, but within the release dates I want the titles in alphabetical order.

If I follow your example I get the titles in alphabetical order but the release dates are scattered.It would appear to me I need to first put the titles into alphabetical order, and then to Release date, which should produce the results I want, but it is not. The sub-sort of alphabetical within the Release Date is not working as I expect it to.

I am also using DVDpedia 6.1.0 Beta190

-Rodney
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

OK I now understand what you want to do.

Is your date format for Release Date: Jan 2021 or are they 02/01/2021

I have fired off a quick email to Conor whom due to the pandemic and family commitments is not as frequent in these forums at the moment.
Rodney
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Rodney »

The format for the release date is: MMM dd, yyyy
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

Rodney wrote:The format for the release date is: MMM dd, yyyy
My own format for the Release Date is: MMM yyyy (Sept 2021)
All my other dates are: d/MM/yy (2/09/21)
NOTE: therefore this is a non-American date format

This can be changed in Preferences > General

Click on the :?: next to the field for more info.

In your own case of MMM dd, yyyy (Sept 09, 2021) would still be sorted; year, month, day

But this is all well and good but does not help in this instance as the pedia is not secondary sub-sorting the Title column alphabetically after and within the date sorting order. This appears to affect ALL date fields.

Thanks for pointing this out.
Rodney
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Rodney »

Is there an ETA when this will be corrected?
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

Have you tried the latest stable beta's DVDpedia 6.1.1 beta 206

It is always good protocol to do some house cleaning every once in a while here are some maintenance tasks you could try.

Regular visitors to these forums will know I am big on the following:

1 - When I am updating App's to a new WHOLE number version or upgrading to a new OS version, or I know that there has been a major rewrite of the App such as with the case of all the pedia's for 64 bit technology and Apple's new OS 11.0.0 Big Sur and the upcoming Monterey OS 12.0, I do a complete uninstall of the old version prior to update. I achieve this by using a FREE program called AppCleaner which you can download from here. On using this App place a check mark IN ALL the boxes EXCEPT: ~/Library/Application Support/*****pedia , which is the second line down from the top. This is where your data base is located. Ensure that is NOT ticked. You will loose your Preference settings though but they only take a couple of minutes to redo. ONLY DOWNLOAD THE VERSION FOR YOUR macOS

2 - These are the Folders and Files that should be in ~/Library/Application Support/*****pedia/ .

Covers
InfoTemplates
Plug-ins
Templates

AddMultiple.xml
autofill.xml
backup1Month.*****pd
backup2Months.*****pd
*****pedia Backup.zip
Database.******pd
Database.******pd-shm
Pocketpedia.******pd
Pocketpedia.******pd-shm
Pocketpedia.******pd-wal

The above entries in blue are Folders do not delete them or their contents.

AND of course do not delete: Database.*****pd OR Pocketpedia.*****pd

NOTE: ***** represents the particular pedia - Book, DVD, CD or Game

The Files with the suffix; .shm & .wal can be deleted as they are changed and recreated automatically again on each starting up of your pedia. You can think of them as a temporary index cache files. The Database and Backup files are self explanatory so not advisable to delete those. The .xml are again a type of index file for your autofill fields and are important so do not delete those two. You can clean these up to some extend within each Pedia's Preferences > Autofill.

3 - There is also one other thing you can do and that is to use, what I call a "Grease & Oil Change" maintenance program called Onyx. This is a FREE program that is a multifunction utility that you can use to verify the structure of the system files, to run miscellaneous maintenance and cleaning tasks, to configure parameters in the Finder, Dock, Safari, and some of Apple's applications, to delete caches, to remove certain problematic folders and files, to rebuild various databases and indexes, and more. I always use it prior and post system OS updates and about once a month. Also especially in this case concerning the new macOS 11.0.* Big Sur.

This program is available here: Titanium Software - Onyx. ONLY DOWNLOAD THE VERSION FOR YOUR macOS

It is available in many languages and is regularly updated (about once a month).

4 - Also there are some hidden menu tasks that you can perform: 'hold down the option key and click on the main Help menu in each program once and select - each in turn: 'Verify Database', 'Remove Orphaned Covers' and 'Clean Duplicates in Fields' these may not solve your problems but it wont hurt either.

5 - And finally if your particular pedia is actually crashing do check for the Crash Logs. You can find the relevant logs in your Home folder under: ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/

Send them to Bruji Support: support@bruji.com

AND of course always carry out a general machine BACKUP first. Remember that all the pedia's also have the ability to create individual data base backups: File > Export Collection > Backup > Location of your choice

Hope you find these Tips & Hints helpful :D
Rodney
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Rodney »

The Sort order is still not working. I'm running 6.1.1 Beta 212.
I'm wondering if this is even being worked on?
Rodney
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Rodney »

When will this bug be fixed?

Again, the issue is that dvdpedia is not secondary sub-sorting the Title column alphabetically after and within the date sorting order. FineWine posted above that he was able to reproduce this issue.
Can someone let me know if this is being worked on and corrected? I still have this issue with Beta 230.

-Rodney