Import from IMDb seems not to work correctly any more

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
lankysam
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Re: Import from IMDb seems not to work correctly any more

Post by lankysam »

Even with Beta 202 I am crashing upon attempting to update movie info from IMDb (i.e., from the menu option). If, on the other hand, I attempt to edit a single movie and then update from IMDb by clicking on the gear icon, I pull up the side window (from which to select the proper match). When trying to save my changes the Confirmation dialog does not permit me to Save or "Don't Save" or Cancel. I have no option but to force quit the app.
Black Smurf
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Black Smurf »

Import from IDBb is still working only partially for me (Beta 202).
Is the IMDb page still in a process of change - in which case a new beta version of the Pedia would probably bring no big benefit - or can we expect an adapted beta in the near future?
Black Smurf
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Black Smurf »

In the newly realeased version 6.1.1 IMDb import works like the beta 202 for me:
Writers and cast (the complete list, the few names on the first tab are there) are still missing, the other information and the cover is imported. So most of the import is working again.
lankysam
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by lankysam »

Still not working for me (i.e. version 6.1.1, Beta 206): when I right-click and attempt to Update from IMDb, I hang. I should note that before attempting to update via IMDB, I first filled in some info from a TMDB "update from" (which, e.g., fills in the IMDb ID). On the other hand, if I attempt to edit a single movie and click on the gear icon and then click on IMDb, the information DOES populate; however, upon attempting to click on OK, I get no response and must hit Cancel.
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

OK so I am a little late in this, in that I have just visited the IMDb browser webpage (as opposed to their app) and WOW I can see why DVDpedia & Conor are having so much trouble. Though strangely enough it has not affected my own DVDpedia. IMDb has completed changed their entire website.

Therefore obviously the API for IMDb has changed and, for some and therefore Conor, is causing all sorts of problems in the coding.

Do please be patient whilst Conor sorts this new interface data mining out.
sitenoise
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sitenoise »

I just noticed I don't get any actors unless I check "Complete Actors" in IMDb Prefs. I do get composer, cin, ed, as checked in Prefs. I'm still basically good except for that. Seems it started a few weeks ago according to a "Date Added" sort, if that helps

6.1.1 Beta 206
Mojave
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

sitenoise wrote:I just noticed I don't get any actors unless I check "Complete Actors" in IMDb Prefs. I do get composer, cin, ed, as checked in Prefs. I'm still basically good except for that. Seems it started a few weeks ago according to a "Date Added" sort, if that helps

6.1.1 Beta 206
Mojave
I have gone through and picked out a selection of movies with well know actors and the IMDb search is only returning three actors.

Steel Magnolia's (IMDb 0098384) which has six very well know and famous actors and are all lead actors in this movie: Sally Field, Dolly Parton, Shirley MacLaine, Daryl Hannah, Olympia Dukakis, Julia Roberts - only three show up.

Looking at IMDb website this is now part of the new front page design and that is what DVDpedia IMDb search plugin works on to begin with. We are now all going to have to tick the "Complete Actors" check box within the IMDb Preference selection from now on. Though you will still only get the first three actors in the "Starring" field, the rest will be within the "Credit" list.
sitenoise
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sitenoise »

FineWine wrote: I have gone through and picked out a selection of movies with well know actors and the IMDb search is only returning three actors.

Steel Magnolia's (IMDb 0098384) which has six very well know and famous actors and are all lead actors in this movie: Sally Field, Dolly Parton, Shirley MacLaine, Daryl Hannah, Olympia Dukakis, Julia Roberts - only three show up.

Looking at IMDb website this is now part of the new front page design and that is what DVDpedia IMDb search plugin works on to begin with. We are now all going to have to tick the "Complete Actors" check box within the IMDb Preference selection from now on. Though you will still only get the first three actors in the "Starring" field, the rest will be within the "Credit" list.
I don't mind the "starring" part being limited to three. That was always a little funky anyway regarding which actors IMDb chose to put there because it depended on how the cast was billed (or something). In other words, it wasn't always the "stars". But it seems to me that the "Top Cast" part (below the fold) could be the "credits" we get without the "Complete Cast" being checked. I think that's about what it was before. Or Connor simply limited the complete cast to a dozen or so.