Using DVDpedia as a video clip manager?

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
ScottH
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Using DVDpedia as a video clip manager?

Post by ScottH »

DVDpedia has been great for my DVD collection. But I have a worse mess I'd like to organize in something as simple and functional as a Pedia program -- hundreds of loose video files, in a variety of formats (WMV, MOV, AVI, etc.) They all have vaguely descriptive titles, but they're scattered in a number of folders on two different hard disks, and they're not organized by anything except when I got them. They vary in size from a few minutes to 30-40 minutes.

I'd like some way to import them all into a program, which could (ideally) automatically pick up the length, file size, and a pointer to the location, and would then let me assign them categories and keywords. I want something iTunes-like. I'd like this app serve as a player, even if it just kicks off the file and brings up whatever player is normally associated with it. (More ideally it would be like iTunes, with a built-in window.)

I know DVDpedia has the capability to link to files. And I guess I could take over built-in fields and use the custom fields to do everything else I need (although I'd have to manually enter the length and file size). But it's not really suited for this. I wouldn't get a like-to-have feature like a sample frame from each clip.

Is anyone using DVDpedia for this? Or does anyone have a suggestion for a video clip manager that's similar? I know people have asked for a Pedia for just about everything, so I'm not putting this in the "feature request" forum, although it would probably be a pretty easy port.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

We do get requests for a disk pedia application to handle files, especially those stored on removable media. Thank you for letting us know you would be interested in something like that.
I know DVDpedia has the capability to link to files. And I guess I could take over built-in fields and use the custom fields to do everything else I need (although I'd have to manually enter the length and file size). But it's not really suited for this. I wouldn't get a like-to-have feature like a sample frame from each clip.
If you do decide to subvert DVDpedia into this task remember it has a great import function. If you are a programmer of any kind AppleScript, Bash, Perl... create a script to scan your folders and extract all the information from the files and create a tab delimited text file that DVDpedia would be able to import. (It's not yet possible to import links, but we are working on adding this feature for a future version.)

Actually, come to think of it we lent our framework to a company building just this product for a client. I have no idea how far the development is, the cost or even if they would sell it to others. But it's worth writing them an email.