Multiple Storage Locations

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
jcar901

Multiple Storage Locations

Post by jcar901 »

I am a new DvdPedia user and have a simple (probably obvious) qustion. I need to add an additional hard-drive. Should the storage folder on the second drive be named the same as the first? When playing movies will the operation be the same (access from the same library) regardless of storage location?
Thanks
druid
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by druid »

I use the second drive to back up my entire Home folder. That saves all application preferences and also anything in Library, including Application Support: DVDpedia. The result: an exact duplicate on the second drive. (My backup software is Synchronize! X Plus from Qdea Software.)

DVDpedia has an Export: Backup option, but I had trouble with it. The first time, it stored a .zip file where I requested (not in Application Support). The second time, it asked if I wanted to replace the first backup file, and I said Yes. Then the process failed: an error message reported that DVDpedia could not comply and I should use the Finder to make a second copy.

For that reason, the best procedure for me is to backup the Home folder to a second drive.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

jcar901: Depending on the location of your movies DVDpedia will still be able to play them on the third hard drive. If the movies are linked inside the DVDpedia data folder, then the links are relative, and DVDpedia can find the movie. Otherwise the link is strict and if you move only the movie files to another hard drive you will have to update the links in DVDpedia. You can do this by manipulating the database file directly. to find and replace "/MyFirstHardDrive/movies/" to "/MythirdHardDrive/NewMovieFolder/". Search the forum for how to manipulate the "info.xml" file and remember to backup when changing this file by hand.

druid: thanks for letting us know with about not being able to replace the file. Probably DVDpedia was unable to delete the previous one. (Keeping a copy of the data folder is the easiest, but people have asked for a backup function; it just zips a copy of the data folder.)
jcar901

Post by jcar901 »

Thanks for the info. I now have my movies stored on multiple drives and everything is working fine.