Bookpedia -> MySQL

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
cswingle
Contributor
Contributor

Bookpedia -> MySQL

Post by cswingle »

Greetings!

I don't know if this would be of interest to anyone out there, but I've written an export Template and a Python script that makes it fairly easy to get Bookpedia data into MySQL. A brief howto and the code appears at http://people.iarc.uaf.edu/~cswingle/books/software.php

Cheers!

Chris Swingley
Midori
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Midori »

Yeah ! Real great. I always thought I would do one, but had no time (and worse, now we are preparing to move to another flat, so I overused the pedias but had no time to work on anything )

Will you do so for the other pedia ?

Midori...
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

This template is very useful, thank you. Expecailly for those looking to create more dynamic exports with websites that can do internal searches. I have created a little package of the Full-UTF8.txt template that Bookpedia recognizes so that users can install it with a single click – the URL is [url=bookpedia://www.bruji.com/download?extras/fullutf8.zip]bookpedia://www.bruji.com/download?extras/fullutf8.zip[/url]

I have also posted a beta version of Bookpedia here that should be able to export the entire large library to a single text file without problems (tested with 5,000 books on a 2.0Ghz iMac). Feel free to test it out and if it works well on your system will included the fix with the next relase.

Thank you for the MySQL template and python script and the favorable review.
cswingle
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cswingle »

Conor,

Wow! That beta version is fantastic. The export function is easily ten times faster with my full export, and needless to say, it exports everything without any issues.

Thanks, that's great!

Midori,

I don't have any of the other pedias, so I'm afraid I can't help you with exporting those, but a similar template and Python script should be able to to the same job. The real issue is designing the database, which will look different than for a book database.

Cheers,

Chris Swingley