Cuecat problems

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
danco
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Cuecat problems

Post by danco »

I have just got hold of a Cuecat and am having problems getting it set up.

When I plug it in, a window labelled Keyboard Setup Assistant appears, with the message "Your keyboard cannot be identified and will not be usable until it is identified. To identify the keyboard press Continue."

So I press Continue, and it asks me to press the key to the right of the external Shift key. When I do that, it tells me (incorrectly) that I have pressed a key on the built-in keyboard and again asks me to press a key on the external keyboard.

My current computer is a PowerBook G4 with a white Apple Pro keyboard. It is a British keyboard, and I am not sure if the keys are in the same place (certainly Shift-3 gives the pound sign, whereas on US keyboards it gives the hash sign, I think). The key they ask me to press has ` and ~ on it.

Currently I am quite likely to unplug my PowerBook from all its connections, and so use the built-in keyboard - which I see has the same characters on the key to the right of the Shift key. I do not know if that will work.

But in the not-too-distant future I may get a new iMac, and so be using its keyboard.

Does anyone know how to get things working? I will Google to see if information is available, but have not yet done so.
danco
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by danco »

Later.

I found info on the Web indicating that all I needed to do was to ignore the Setup Assistant and just close its window.

Sure enough, it seems to work ok in Bookpedia.

I might want to make a text file of bar codes (so that I can work offline to enter the codes, and go online later to search). So I tried scanning in TextEdit, and got no response. Is there anything I should have done to get the scanner recognised?

On another matter, I noticed that I had to login to make this post, although I have set "login automatically at each visit". I have had the same problem on another site, so I think it is an issue with the forum software.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Glad you were able to find the answer to your CueCat problems on Google. You should be able to scan into a text file, make sure the focus in on the document and the cursor is ready to type. If you have a modified CueCat it should come out as regular numbers with an original CueCat it will appear as encoded, but Bookpedia can decode the CueCat encoding.
danco
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by danco »

Yes, I got it working in TextEdit.

It is just a matter of getting the scan physically right.

Probably one has to take time to develop the skill. For the small bunch of items I was currently dealing with (DVDs this time) after finding I had to try several times on each item to get a result, I decided that typing was as fast.

I'm not sure if that is really true once I have the knack, and certainly CueCat would avoid typos.
jml
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by jml »

Hi danco,

Thanks for posting about the keyboard setup assistant - I just got a cuecat and had the same thing happen, so it was nice to see the info already up here, especially as I am also using a British keyboard - very reassuring!

How are you getting on with the cuecat now? I find it very easy to use - scans smoothly and never makes a mistake! So far, it has only failed to read one barcode and that was printed on a rather unusual plastic cover anyway.

I was a bit doubtful at first about getting the cuecat, but I'm pleased now that I did.

jml
danco
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by danco »

When it works well, it is excellent. But, even with books (CDs and DVDs are harder) i come across the occasional one that doesn't scan after four or five swipes, and I then decide to add that item manually.

I'm sure that it is mostly a matter of skill, holding and moving the Cuecat right. But occasionally a bar code right at the edge of a CD can be a cause of trouble.
jml
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by jml »

Yes, some are harder than others. They shouldn't put barcodes right on the edge of the box IMHO. I just failed completely with one that was on the SPINE of a video case - too curved to scan. But most go in first time. I thought I would have to buy a flic at £70 plus software, so I am very, very happy .... this is one time that a cat and a dog get on well together :)

jml