Bookpedia: not listing alphabetically

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
jml
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Bookpedia: not listing alphabetically

Post by jml »

I am cataloguing books according to author name, in alphabetical order. Some books won't list properly. It seems to happen more with titles entered by ISBN search rather than manually, especially multiple titles - they all sit together in a group at the top of the list. If I delete one of them and re-enter it individually, it appears in the correct place.

Any suggestions?

jml
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

If you click the column header twice they should re-order (Once will do it, but then they will be in descending order). Every time a book is added it should be placed into the correct sorting position. If the problem continues let me know any more details you uncover as I tried different things and was unable to reproduce it.
jml
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by jml »

No, I can't reproduce it now either!

I had already tried double clicking and also clicking with the option key held down, but a particular batch of books always stayed stuck at the top/bottom of the list ..... Does it make a difference that I was offline at the time? .... Anyway I have deleted them and re-entered, some individually and some as multiple titles and all of them went in just fine and in alphabetical order.

Everything runnning smoothly again anyway. :)

jml
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

The world is full of magic; but if it does happen again, do let us know.
danco
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by danco »

It has happened to me with a few items.

But my database was imported, and I suspect some peciuiarity of that.

It wasn't necessary to delete any items in order to get them to go into the correct place. I just edited the Author field, re-entering the name.

Sorry I can't be more precise. And the database is a bit big to send you, at 1.8 MB.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Since both are fixed I won't be able to find where the problem was. That is why if it happens again do let me know; it was most likely some kind of character formating from an import that was causing the authors to sort towards the top.
bernard
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Authors sort order

Post by bernard »

The trouble with Bookpedia 4.0.4 is that instead of sorting by author's last name, it sorts now by the first letter.

For example, Isaac Asimov now comes after George Orwell and Anne Mccaffrey after A. E. Van Vogt.

All my database is useless since I upgraded to 4.0.4. Hopefully I should go back to version 3 on my G5. I'll check next WE.

Bernard - Switzerland
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Hold down the option (alt) key and click on the author header to sort by last name.
Nadsat
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Nadsat »

Is it possible to add a "sort author"-field like in CD-pedia (sort artist) ?
ggt4536

Can't get authors to sort by last name first

Post by ggt4536 »

Okay every since 4.0.x upgrade can't do sorts in the author column by last name. holding down the alt (option button) & clicking on a intel based mac does not do anything! so what am I missing ( upgraded to 4.0.6) ?

:oops: :(
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Please send us your Database.pediadata so that we might try sorting your books by author's last name as we can't replicate the issue here. You will find this file in your data folder by default under ~/Library/Application Support/Bookpedia/Database.pediadata. Although from your other post you might be referring to the displaying of the information and not the sorting. The author information is displayed as it's given to us by the search sites; with Amazon this is First Last.
ggt4536

Post by ggt4536 »

where do I send it too? just the support at email address?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Our support address will do fine; archived with ctrl-click it can be made a bit smaller if necessary.
ggt4536

files sent

Post by ggt4536 »

I sent you the file from my wife's bookpedia and the file from mine. (2 emails). I hope you can tell us what we are doing wrong. when we click on the author column all it does is change the listing based upon First name (a to z) or (z to a).
danco
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by danco »

Try the following.

Click on *another* column to sort by that column.

Now use option-click on the Author column. I have a vague feeling that an immediate option-click does not work.