Cuecat scanning problem, missing leading digit?

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
tenton

Cuecat scanning problem, missing leading digit?

Post by tenton »

I recently stumbled across the pedia programs the other day. Dusted off my old CueCat USB (unmodified) and decided to give this a whirl. For the most part, it works great; I'm thinking of purchasing the programs.

The only problem I have right now is that when I scan my CDs and DVDs (what I have on hand at the moment; no games or books in the office at the moment), it's stripping off the first digit from the barcode. If I manually type it in, the search works.

Upon further investigation, this is something only happening with my Japanese CDs and DVDs, which use a 13 digit barcode. The few US CDs and DVDs I have in the office (at the moment) are 12 digit ones (and work and search fine).

To clarify things, I open the program and click on the "Add" button, then run my unmodified CueCat over the barcode. The program sees the input (and converts it), but it only converts the last 12 digits (the first digit, a "4" in all the cases I'm looking at here, is not there). Am I doing something wrong here?

(A quick check with my old copy of ReaderWare shows all 13 digits; my ReaderWare sits, unloved, because of some Unicode/Japanese character issues).
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Will take a look at the CueCat decoding and see if we can figure out were it's going wrong in decoding the EAN instead of a UPC. It might take us a little while as our CueCat got stolen, but will get our hands on another one.
tenton

Upon further review...

Post by tenton »

Well, I've tried the latest (4.1) version.

I seem to have discovered something, as I've had a few of my Japanese CDs work. The ones that don't work (using an unmodified CueCat) all start with 498800; that is, those scan, but are missing the leading "4" after decoding (and consequently won't get any results). I have a few other CDs here with me at work; the ones that work start with 454 (the leading 4 is present after decoding and of course, searches work). Actually, DVDs seem to have the same issue as well.

Not sure what this means. If there's any other info or testing that I can do, let me know.