Large .dcard files

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
iBoy
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Large .dcard files

Post by iBoy »

I have recently discovered the possibility to export my DVDpedia entries as .dcard files. I thought this maybe could be an easy way to share my movies with friends by simply putting them into the Public folder on my iDisk (especially useful for Leopard users who can browse in cower flow view).

But I wonder why the folder with .dcard files are about seven times larger than my DVDpedia library folder? Is it because the images are exported in a different format than the original? I use to compress all cover art in Photoshop to make the files as small as possible.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

The .dcard files are bigger than the actual JPG file because the image is encoded to be part of the XML so that the .dcard can be a single file.
An easier way for sharing might be to use one of the HTML templates that has the sharing icons included. That way your friends can view all your movies in HTML (or subscribe to the RSS) and add any movie to their DVDpedia with a single click. Also, then the files will reference the actual JPG images so they stay a smaller size.
But your idea with the .dcards in Cover Flow is cool. Have to keep that in mind for the future.