Importing from Collectorz - windows

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
Bruce
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Importing from Collectorz - windows

Post by Bruce »

Howdy. I found a few previous discussions but am a bit confused (nothing new.) Collectorz (Books) has the option to export to text, HTML, XML, iPod notes or Palm/Pocket PC? Will one of these work? I have 721 books in the thing!

I am new to the pedias and new to this Mac thing so assume great ignorance in your explanation, assuming there is one.

I also have DVDs and CDs to transfer when I can get it figured out.

Thanks ... bruce
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Hi Bruce,

DVDpedia will import a well formed CSV or tab delimited file. This is the the text option of Movie Collector.

You will want to export field names, use comma as the separator, quote the fields, and change line breaks to spaces. Click on the exported fields button and add the following fields: Front Cover, Format, Genre, Movie Release Date, Movie Release Year, Nr of Disks/Tapes, Plot, Region, Running Time, Title Sort, UPC, Loan Date, Loaned To, Audience Rating, IMDb Number, Language, Links, Site URL, Studio, Screen Ratio, Subtitles, Current Value, Location, My Rating, Notes, Purchase Date, Purchase Price, Store, Actor, Director, Producer, User Credit 1, User Credit 2, Writer, Extra Features, Standard Features, User Lookup 1, User Lookup 2, User Text 1, User Text 2, Country and Title.

In DVDpedia choose import under the file menu and choose the exported file and map the fields (doing this I realized My Rating is not included as an import option in the latest version, download DVDpedia again if you wish to also import the My Rating field).

I noticed that Movie Collector does not encode the dollar sign correctly. If this is important for you, open the exported file before in a text editor and do a search and replace for what appears for the dollar sign and change it to the proper currency symbol.
Bruce
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Bruce »

Conor .... thanks. My first look at the export text on collectorz books looks a bit different but I should be able to muddle through ... I hope. I will give this a try tonight. Thanks again.

bruce
Bruce
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Bruce »

So far ... no go. I sent Bruji an email with the text file I attempted to import.