iPod Template Help

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
Twist
Contributor
Contributor

iPod Template Help

Post by Twist »

I am wanting to make a template for exporting my Gamepedia collections (and eventually Bookpedia and DVDpedia with similar style exports) to my iPod but I am unsure how or even if I can have it export them the way I want. What I would like it to do is create a single top level directory called "Game Collection" which contains simple plain text files for each Collection I have plus another text file for my Wish List. All I want the plain text files to contain is the titles of the games separated by simple line breaks (I have been able to do this part via the Text Export option but the iPod doesn't display Rich Text properly). So here is sort of what I want it to look like on the iPod:

Notes
-> Game Collection
-> -> Macintosh
-> -> Playstation
-> -> Playstation 2
-> -> Xbox
-> -> Xbox 360

Is the currently possible or do I need to file a feature request?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

You have to export each collection that you would like individually to your iPod. To nest the exports inside a folder first create the folder in your Notes section.

Code: Select all

Notes
-> Game Collection
Then when exporting a collection in the Collection Name setting add the folder name "Game Collection/Macintosh". Using a template such as Simple would give you:

Notes
-> Game Collection
-> -> Macintosh
-> -> -> Civilization IV (This is the text file)
-> -> -> -> platform
-> -> -> -> genre
-> -> -> -> release
-> -> -> -> rated
-> -> -> -> summary
However since what you want is simpler, you would create a template with the following text:

<?xml encoding="UTF8"?>
<meta name="HideAllTags" content="true">
<meta name="PageSplit" content="99999">
<TITLE>[global:collectionName]</TITLE>
<!--BeginRepeat-->[key:title]
<!--EndRepeat-->
Use any text editor and save a text file with this content into ~/Library/Application Support/Gamepedia/Templates and in the name append -iPod.txt for example JustTitles-iPod.txt so that it will appear as a iPod export template. This template will give:

Notes
-> Game Collection
-> -> Game Collection/Macintosh (This is the text file)
-> -> -> Civilization IV 
-> -> -> Halo
-> -> -> Lode Runner
Because we are adding a folder to the name it appears as the name of the text file. To get rid of it, do the export to the root folder and after exporting all the collections move them into the folder; or if the collections are always the same create several identical templates were the <title> tag is hard coded for each template instead of [global:collectionName].

Also do try the sortedTitle template on your entire library collection when it's sorted by platform as it will automatically group the entries by platform into a single text file and just export it to "Game Collection". To tweak the template so it does not display as much information as it does now you could remove section, making it:

<?xml encoding="UTF8"?>
<meta name="PageSplit" content="SortName">
<TITLE>[global:sortedEntry]</TITLE>
<!--EndRepeat-->
This would give in a single export:

Notes
-> Game Collection
-> -> Macintosh (This is the text file) (and a platform value)
-> -> -> Civilization IV 
-> -> -> Halo
-> -> -> Lode Runner
I only mention it last as there is less control as to what goes in each text file as those are created automatically from the platform field. But using the multi-edit feature and one of the custom fields you could assign a specific group to each game without modifying the platform field if you don't want to change that.

Sorry about the long post, I wanted to give you all the possibilities, so that you could figure out what is best for your needs.
Twist
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Twist »

Hey thanks alot! I made one tiny tweak to it based on something I saw in the sortTitle one and I have to say that it is basically exactly what I wanted. I will go ahead and share my final version here. All I added was an item count to the main listing.

<?xml encoding="UTF8"?>
<meta name="PageSplit" content="SortName">
<TITLE>[global:sortedEntry] ([global:entriesInPage])</TITLE>
<!--EndRepeat-->