Revisiting CDDB (Gracenote)

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
Siriosys
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Revisiting CDDB (Gracenote)

Post by Siriosys »

Hi, I am new user (as of about 10 minutes ago!) and have done quite a bit of reading on these forums about importing existing collections and also bringing in 'new' data.

Like many users, I don't like FreeDB as the quality of data is a little flakey and was wondering whether or not the Gracenote thing had been addressed again.....I am aware that there are costs involved, but I'm sure, given the insanely value-for-money cost of CDPedia that there would be some people who would be prepared to pay extra to get full CDDB2 quality data.

I buy quite a number of CDs and am currently importing them into my existing MusicLabel 2008 software in a Windows virtual machine just so I can get all the CDDB2 data.

Is there any chance that the Gracenote data will be available to CDPedia users in the future?

Also, is there any way of adding extra sites to the sitelist where all the data sources are?

Regards
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

CDpedia comes with a plug-in from a user that queries iTunes for the CD information – using Gracenote via iTunes. It's the last menu (white square after the help menu) a small plug-in image.

The Pedias are extensible via a plug-in architecture which also allows to additional search sites, but it requires programming knowledge to build a plug-in. If you are interested let us know and we can give you more information (we are in the process of updating the plug-in info page).

Great location, must be nice having elves for neighbors. :)
Siriosys
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Siriosys »

Thanks Conor - Wow! that was quick....I wasn't expecting a response quite so quickly being Christmas and all.

Thanks for your answer, I'm not too crash hot on programming, but hopefully somebody may make a "batch CDDB2 query" routine - that would be the ultimate for me......was one of the reasons I purchased MusicLabel. I'm planning on exporting as much data out of my existing system into CDPedia. By the way, how large is the 'Comments' or 'Summary' fields? If I was to import all of the liner notes from a particular CD there is about 4 A4 pages worth. Would this fit?

As for my location - I live about 1.5 hours drive from Hobbiton....no I'm not kidding, I do.

Cheers
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

There's no limit to the Summary or Comments field. We've never tried putting that much information into those fields but you shouldn't run into any trouble, especially now with version 4 and the SQL format.

We've been to Matamata! :) Loved your country... South, North - all amazing (and very middle-earthish).