two quick questions from a new user

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
benmrii

two quick questions from a new user

Post by benmrii »

I've been asked to organize a library of 2500-3000 books and wanted to touch base about two things:

1) Dewey Decimal - perhaps I should have paid better attention in elementary school but if the DDC# isn't on the copyright page I don't know where to find it. Is there a database somewhere or a "how to" that anyone would recommend?

2) Export/Import - Initially I will need to create the library on my own computer and then transfer it to his. We will both own legal copies of Bookpedia but I wanted to be sure that transferring from one computer and license to a completely different computer and license wouldn't create issues.

Thank you for your help.
benmrii

Post by benmrii »

Make it three:

Just to placate my boss a bit, on the off chance that a few years down the road he decides to switch back to PC the export features of Bookpedia will likely include a format that would be recognized by a 'comparable' Windows book organization program, yes?
paulab
Captain
Captain

Dewey Decimal Numbers

Post by paulab »

Hi -

You might try the Library of Congress catalog: http://catalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebreco ... PAGE=First

Dewey Decimal numbers are included for many (though not all) titles. After you search and locate your title, switch from "Brief Record" to "Full Record" and scroll down until you find the information you're looking for.

I'm not sure whether the DDC number will import if you choose LOC as your primary search site.

Good luck and have fun!
Paula
benmrii

Post by benmrii »

The DDC hasn't been populating when using the LOC as my primary search location, at least not in any of my testing. I've actually suggested a different organization format to him (what I use) and he has agreed to it so that is less of a problem/hassle now. Thank you for the tips.

I've done a little more research online and it does seem that we wouldn't have a problem if he ever switched back to PC. Also just a closer look at the export option menu makes me feel like there wouldn't be a problem creating his collection on my computer and then sending it to his. If anyone has a comment/experience to share on either of these two matters that would be helpful, but I'll be picking up Bookpedia later today.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

There are two ways of sending books to your boss. One is to make a copy of the data folder to his computer. This is like replacing a file, he would have Bookpedia as you have it. The data folder is in ~/Library/Application Support/Bookpedia, you would place this folder in the same location on his computer while his Bookpedia is not running. The other is to send him a .bookpedia file. This is like importing a new collection, it would appear on his Bookpeida as a new excluded collection that can be included in the library by using the command under the file menu. I would recommend the initial version first so that he gets a copy of any collections you have created. After that I would recommend the second approach to send additional books, that way preserving any changes your boss has made to his version. For just a few books you can also send .bcard by dragging from the table view to the Finder to create the files. When he double clicks each of these files he gets the add window to preview the entry and add it to his collection.

We are as open as one can be with the data, it's your data after all, and you should have no trouble sending it to other programs in the format of your choosing. Most likely you will want the CVS or XML exports (.bookpedia is XML).

The dewey is only available for some books on the LOC.
benmrii

Post by benmrii »

Awesome. Again, thank you. Loving the software so far and am enjoying learning how to tune it to my preferences.