location entry

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
ajoyce
Inductee
Inductee

location entry

Post by ajoyce »

I haven't been able to find the answer to this anywhere, and I've searched through the user help files. I feel like an idiot but I can't figure out how to enter information into the column that is marked "Location."

I am trying to determine whether this program will allow me to catalog my library or not. I have about a thousand books that need to be cataloged and, unfortunately, many are old and probably won't be recognized by an isbn or have a bar code to scan. It will be a tedious process. But, I already have numbered (using a variation of the Dewey system) many of the books in my library. This allows me to find a particular book on the shelf. But, if this program is going to work for me, I have to be able to enter the number of the book into the program where it can direct me to the right shelf when I want to get the book.

So, my question is: Is the Location column the best way to do this? And, how do I enter that information into the field? And lastly, am I able to batch enter information for a number of books selected?

Thanks for the info.

Art
danco
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by danco »

I think you can do it by double-clicking the field in the main view.

If I am wrong, you can certainly do it via the Add/Edit button.
If you select a number of items, then using the Edit item allows batch editing.

And don't forget that you can have custom fields. I would expect your Dewey-type classification to go best in a custom field.

You may need to set some preferences to make extra fields show up.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

I would suggest the collection ID field for your numbering information but either field will work. In the add/edit window empty fields are not shown by default, but you can toggle this with the "show all" (command-d) button on the bottom left. The location field is also under the extras tab, but it's location can be changed in the preferences. It can also be edited as Danco mentioned in the table view and batch edited by selecting more than one book. The advantage that the collection ID field has over the location field is that you can have it automatically increase for new books added, find the settings under the menu "Edit--> Incremental Collection ID...".