How did you handle "boxsets"?

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
Rigido
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

How did you handle "boxsets"?

Post by Rigido »

Hi,
I saw that there is a feature-request about this, but I would like to know how people handled boxsets right now.
I'm not talking about (i.e.) "Lost - Season 1" but something with real movies like "Rocky", "Rocky 2" etc.
If I enter the whole boxset as one entry, DVDpedia would show 1 movie (I think) and 7 DVDs, or not?
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

If you add a whole box set from Amazon, "Rocky - the complete Saga" for example - then DVDpedia will treat that as one entry but list the number of DVDs in the box set (6). If you have all the movies on your hard drive and want to link them to that one entry, you can do that too.

But if you add the movies from the box set as independent entries you can keep the information for each movie separate. Maybe add a common title in the beginning such as "Stanley Kubrick Set - title of the movie" or in the case of Rocky "Rocky I" "Rocky II", etc. That way the movies will still be listed together when you sort your library alphabetically.

In addition you can also link these entries to each other so you'll see at a glance which movies 'belong together'. To link entries together, make sure you have the info view showing (if it's not there, use the 'I' button in the toolbar to bring it up), then select all the movies you want to link to each other, hold down the option key and drag them over the info view. The movies will automatically establish links between themselves; you'll be able to see them in the info view (depending on the template you have chosen) or access them through the edit window, links tab.
judocama
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: How did you handle "boxsets"?

Post by judocama »

To my particularly I do not like it because for example all the James Bond's movies do not begin for 007

It is not better to create a field called group or set.

Would this allow to be able to group then the movies easily?

Thank you in advance
MikeB
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by MikeB »

I also have several boxsets and I have them in DVDPedia as individual films. It is not clear to me why you want to have them listed as a boxset in DVDPedia. Perhaps if you could explain the purpose, we could have some ideas of how to help you.
judocama
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by judocama »

And as you add a dvd that has in addition a disc of extras of which we want to have also the individual information?

Excuse but I do not have it clear
adamhh
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by adamhh »

I must admit that I've wondered whether or not to bother listing boxsets in DVDpedia - since I will always list individual films. In the end I decided that I would enter them into the library, for potential insurance claims.

So I enter the boxset, then in the GENRE field I enter 'Collection'. I then have a smart collection called 'Features' which ignores 'collection' in the GENRE field, thus only returning all my films individually. But I'd be interested to hear other solutions.
MikeB
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by MikeB »

Carpanta, I think you gave a good example and that helps. You could try what Nora suggested about linking the films in the Info view. Or, why not just put it in the title of the film? For example, you could have one film in DVDPedia called "Casablanca - the film" and a second film called "Casablanca - the extras". Or you could make a custom field and put numbers or letters in there. For example, all films with number 1 belong together, all films with number 2, belong in a different set, etc.

I'm sure there are many other ways of doing it as well, so ask again if none of these help.
judocama
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by judocama »

Thanks Mikebb,
The option that say for example Casablanca "Casablanca the movie" or Casablanca "Extras" do not like too much
Mainly because it seems like two movies when it's really one of them, then the amount of movies you own end is not real.
The second optiton you purpose me I don't understand too.
The ideal would be to put a single title and then you can add as many disks as you have the movie in the same way you add movies in the mother title.
Of course it is a suggestion and not really of the difficulty of that.

What I really think is that a disc of extras should not be in the collection as a single entry.

By the way I just came from your country and particularly in Amsterdam, congratulations, beautiful country and beautiful city.

And as always forgive for my English.