using isight

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
Mica
Inductee
Inductee

using isight

Post by Mica »

I have had no luck using isight to input the books. Does anyone have any hints on how to make that work. Like holding the bar code a certain distance making sure its still or within the red lines or scaning like at a store or what? Nothing seems to happen no matter what I do. Am I missing something simple? Thanks to anyone who can give this newbie a hint.

Mica
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

You can find some tips on using the iSight feature in the Help file but we're also currently working on updating our iSight code to work with the latest built-in iSights. They have a different ratio and resolution than the older iSights and we have to change that feature accordingly (a feat that's proved a lot trickier than we originally anticipated).
gledet
Contributor
Contributor

iSight

Post by gledet »

I've had the same problem. The iSight camera just can't read the barcode. On a regular video camera it works perfect, but its a pain in the butt. Hope you can rectify this.
Gary
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

You most likely have a newer machines (mid 2007) with the new built-in iSight, we are working on adding support for those at the moment.
gledet
Contributor
Contributor

Post by gledet »

Just got it a few weeks ago. Thanks for the information.
Big Bad D

Re: using isight

Post by Big Bad D »

I have tried getting Bookpedia to scan barcodes on both an iMac G5 and a Intel MacBook Pro, both with built in iSight. Using iSight works perfectly on the newer MacBook Pro, but I cannot get it to work on the older iMac. This seems to be contrary to the problems being described and worked on - which seems to suggest only problems on later Macs. Does anyone have any advice? I have loaded the latest updates, but still no difference. Apart from this, I am very impressed with Bookpedia and the level of support. Thanks.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

With the new version of the video capture it seems to behave differently on Tiger than on Leopard. Please give the beta a try and let us know. If the scanning is still not working please email us a screenshot of the iSight window while scanning a book.
Big Bad D

Post by Big Bad D »

Thanks Conor for your quick response.
I tried the Beta software you suggested and unfortunately this made no difference - my iMac G5 still cannot scan with iSight. As you requested, I have e-mailed you a screenshot of the iSight window during the scan process. No matter how I adjust the bar code, the red bars do not even momentarily turn green to suggest that there is any recognition.
For clarity both my iMac and MacBook Pro (on which it works perfectly) are running Leopard 10.5.2.
Many thanks for your support.
gledet
Contributor
Contributor

Post by gledet »

With the recent updates, the iSight camera works great on my Mac Book Pro. Its speedy and accurate.

Gary
DRL
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: using iSight

Post by DRL »

I have been quietly assessing and comparing the various options for my CD collection over recent months - with absolutely no degree of urgency, since my main concern was to find the system which best suited my predominantly classical collection. Now I am sure that CDpedia is the one for me, I have committed myself a little further by registering for this forum.
I have been partly held back by problems I have read about concerning the efficiency of the iSight camera. I have a MacBook Pro (Intel), bought in August 2006, running on Tiger and (if it's significant) I use Firefox. With the various updates now in operation, will my camera read the necessary information from the CDs or is it still a little uncertain? I have read about scanners as an alternative; is this a more reliable method?
(I have heard that the support available here is second-to-none, so I have no hesitation in asking this question and knowing that I will get a full answer.)
gledet
Contributor
Contributor

Post by gledet »

I use my iSight camera on my MBP 17", running Leopard and DVDPedia works great. There are very few movies that don't come up. They are usually obscure ones that I buy.

Gary
DRL
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by DRL »

Thanks for the quick reply. Does that mean that the problems I've read about have been solved? Or were you always problem free? Would there be any problem with me still being on Tiger?
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Being on Tiger shouldn't make a difference. The best way to see whether CDpedia and the scanning function work for you is to try it out yourself - you can download the demo from the CDpedia page.

When you scan a CD you want to roughly position the bar code across the red lines, so that it fits along the length. (Those lines are just a guideline though - you might have to experiment a little by slowly moving the CD back and towards the camera to get the correct distance.)
gledet
Contributor
Contributor

Post by gledet »

Nora's right. I just position my camera window to the left or right of center and it makes it a little easier for me. You should have no problems.

Gary
DRL
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by DRL »

Thanks for the advice. I will certainly give it a try in the next few days. I am sure it will be obvious once I try it. ("Position the bar code across the red lines, so that it fits along the length" sounds complicated! I am sure that these red lines will appear somewhere (?) when I try it!)