Search plug-in

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
GRT

Search plug-in

Post by GRT »

Trying to find out what possibilities there are for DVDPedia, I opened the program and found the plugin folder. I took out the plugins from the sites that I will never use, p.e. the french and german sites. That made me wonder how to make/find a new plugin for the sites that I normally use for my purchases. The Dutch sites, as I am Dutch. I am amazed that in the whole forum I did not find one thread that speaks of this problem. DVDPedia is international and is even translated in Dutch, so I guess there will be some interest for specific plugins. Especially as most sites work more or less the same.
So, I wonder how I can add: http://www.freerecordshop.nl or http://www.vanleest.nl or any other Duch site to my plugin list.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Search plug-in

Post by Conor »

DVDpedia has two dutch plug-ins MovieMeter and Bol.nl.

Creating new plug-ins requires Xcode and a little knowledge of Cocoa programming. We recently updated the plug-ins so the documentation on creating plug-ins is out of date but you can download a sample plug-in. (At the moment the plug-in is set to look at our site and take out the version number and a screenshot.)

To use the new project and make it work you have to place a copy of DVDpedia.app where the plug-in is created because there is a script included that will automatically place the plug-in in DVDpedia.app and launch the program when you build the plug-in.
You want to place the program in both "Products/Debug/" and "Products/Release/" (you can find out the full path by doing 'get info' on the project file).
Once that's done, look for Executables on the left-hand side of the window and ctrl-click it to choose 'Add new'. Name the new executable DVDpedia and point it to your copy of Bookpedia in "Products/Debug/". Now you can use build and debug (command-y) to test your plug-in.
The great advantage of this is you can ctrl-click on the code and say 'add breakpoint' and the debugger will come up and stop the program at that point and you can step through each instruction and see the variables change.

Also this plug-in does not use our own convenience methods but you will see them in the controller header that you can use the methods to pull out sections from strings instead of using the NSScanner:

NSString *aTitle = [results stringBetween:@"<title>" and:@"</title>"];
Dricus
Inductee
Inductee

Re: Search plug-in

Post by Dricus »

I know I am bumping an old topic. :oops:

Did anyone give it a try?