genres vs tags

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
dagopher
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

genres vs tags

Post by dagopher »

So I'm slowly inserting all my books, and I keep coming back to the same basic problem, how the hell do I classify these books?

For the most part I'm using my tags to keep track of the 'subjects' and 'classifications' I apply to each book, but there's still that damn genre field and I can't make my mind up what to do with that. Originally I was using it to hold things like 'Sci Fi' vs 'Romantic Comedy' vs 'Comics and Graphic Novels', but that just didn't do me any goo:, 'Comics and Graphic Novels are really a 'genre', that's more of a grouping based upon the media involved, and what happens when it's a sci-fi based romantic comedy?

So then I started putting books in to more general genres like 'Comics and Graphic Novels' and 'Arts and Photography' and leaving the specifics to the tags. However, when I started filling in the actual locations of my books, I realized that my new genres and locations overlapped almost identically (I keep all my graphic novels together, all my sci-fi together, etc). I think I'm going to continue along these lines: label all graphic novels with 'Comics and Graphic Novels' and use location as to which book shelf they are stored. But, basically I'm close to back to square one: how the hell do I classify these books?

While I understand that this is a problem solved on an individual basis, I was curious as to how others were dealing with and seeing there was some inspiration out there of what to try next.

thx
Gopher.