Bookpedia: Feature request for exporting to HTML

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
ersatzkanister

Bookpedia: Feature request for exporting to HTML

Post by ersatzkanister »

Hi everyone,

first of all: Great software! Bravo!

It would be great if there was an export template to HTML which would allow listing books by genre and author as well as offering an integrated simple search on the website or is there one that I missed?

Thanks!
Nora
Site Admin

Re: Bookpedia: Feature request for exporting to HTML

Post by Nora »

An integrated search is complicated with plain HTML, you have to have a database such as MySQL for your own searches; but for any of our regular HTML pages you can add your own Google search. You can view one of our modified templates for DVDpedia as an example. Of course this particular template does not need a search for titles as all movie titles are on one page, but the search will let you find movies by anything other than director or title as those are on the details pages. If you use this template or the code in a Bookpedia template, remember to submit your final site to Google for the search to work.

We did customize a template once for a user to have the option of both a sort by Author and by Title option (it was the SortedIndexBlue template). You can download these templates for an idea of how they work.

Double-click the mySortedTemplate.zip file to unzip it and then double-click the unzipped file again to install the templates automatically in your Bookpedia Templates folder.

And this is how the export works:
- Sort your collection by Title.
- Export the collection using the 'MySortedTitle.html' template.
- Now sort the same collection by Author.
- Export the collection using the 'MySortedAuthor.html' template and place that export inside the previously exported folder and name it 'Author' (with a capital A).

Now you'll be able to switch between the index listed by author or by title.

With a little tweaking you can adapt this template to pretty much any setup, including a listing by genre and author.
ersatzkanister

Post by ersatzkanister »

Thank you Nora!
iBoy
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by iBoy »

If you want more control over the search feature, I can recommend FreeFind.com. I have used them for several years, and I am very satisfied :-)