DvdPedia: Triggering movie "remotely"

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
griffer
Contributor
Contributor

DvdPedia: Triggering movie "remotely"

Post by griffer »

I have imported my entire DVD collection into dvdpedia, and use it with my macmini media center.

Sometimes when you know what movie you want to see, it's kinda tedious to use the apple remote to click through the collection.
I often have my macbookpro running anyways, so i thought it could me great, if i could find the movies on my macbook, and then tell my macmini to play that movie.

I know it's probably very difficult to do, just thought it would be more smooth than just remote controlling the mini...
Conor
Top Dog

Re: DvdPedia: Triggering movie "remotely"

Post by Conor »

We have the technology. Check out Mac DVD on Demand.
griffer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by griffer »

Can't believe i didn't see that :| ... Thanks a lot :), and sorry for the inconvenience...
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Never an inconvenience to help, it's a bit hard to find on the extras page as it's a plug-in not created by us.
verdejt
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by verdejt »

I am interested in how you are using a mac mini for the media center. Can you forward any info you have on this especially diagrams, they would be helpful.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

In the case of Mac DVD on Demand it's a program that runs on the Minis and just plays movies. But it is listening for a remote command as to what movie to play. They also wrote a plug-in for DVDpedia that discovers the Minis via Bonjour and sends the play movie command based on the selected movie. All the movies reside on a network hard drive that every computer can reach.

One example we know of is a extensive setup of 8 Minis connected to 8 TVs through out the house and one MacBookAir running DVDpedia. The MacBook is a very cool and expensive remote to the TVs. You can view all the details for the movie on the MacBookAir and then ask it to play the movie on the TV of the room your in.

The hardest part is not the setup or entering data into DVDpedia, it's ripping all those movies to a shared hard drive.