Pocketpedia -- wireless connection only?

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
RJTJr
Inductee
Inductee

Pocketpedia -- wireless connection only?

Post by RJTJr »

To sync from a Mac to iPod touch (or any machine), is it required that it be a wireless connection only?

Thank you.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Pocketpedia -- wireless connection only?

Post by Conor »

It must be wireless connection. When syncing a collection for the first time do plug in the USB cable as well to avoid the iPod Touch going to sleep during the sync.
Ted
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Ted »

Conor wrote:It must be wireless connection. When syncing a collection for the first time do plug in the USB cable as well to avoid the iPod Touch going to sleep during the sync.
You might want to mention that on your main PocketPedia page. I got bitten by it twice before I figured it out. An incremental sync might also be nice for people with large collections.

That said: PocketPedia is FANTASTIC -- thank you for having this available on day one of the App store! One of the very best Apps on my iPhone...

Thanks!
Ted
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the feedback. The main page does say "wireless network" but we will try to make it clearer. Pocketpedia does support incremental syncs but a first sync must be completed (including the covers) for the next sync to be incremental. Thank you for the kind words and we are excited to have been able to have been given the Pocketpedia on the App Store at launch.
Ted
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Ted »

Conor wrote:Thank you for the feedback. The main page does say "wireless network" but we will try to make it clearer. Pocketpedia does support incremental syncs but a first sync must be completed (including the covers) for the next sync to be incremental. Thank you for the kind words and we are excited to have been able to have been given the Pocketpedia on the App Store at launch.
Actually it was me being unclear -- the wireless network part was obvious -- it was the having to plug the iPhone in so it won't go to sleep part that got me.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thanks for clarifying. We'll try to make that more obvious on the website.
Ted
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Ted »

I have another question: How can I turn of and remove syncing for CDPedia while still keeping DVDPedia? My CDPedia collection just takes up too much space on my iPhone. I got an iPhone system warning after my initial CDPedia synch that the phone was full and I needed to delete pictures, video or music.

Also, has anyone experienced super slow iTunes/iPhone synching after installing PocketPedia? I plugged it in last night and it is still going 8~9 hours later. I'm not blaming it directly on the 2.0 firmware, because you'd hear millions of people complaining, and also I synched with iTunes before installing PocketPedia, and it took the normal couple of minutes. The reason I a considering PocketPedia over any of the other apps I've installed, is that it is the one occupying by far the most flash memory space -- and I haven't installed anything too exotic (Twiterrific, NY Tmes, AIM, Remote, etc.) It could be something else entirely of course, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Thanks,
Ted
Ted
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Ted »

Ted wrote: Re: slow synching...It could be something else entirely of course, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
Well I finally found out what was wrong -- the disk on which my iTunes Library resides was full, and that was causing iPhones Synching to break. It's a long story that doesn't belong here, but suffice to say that PocketPedia is rock solid and causing no problems whatsoever. Indeed, after having dealt with various buggy iPhone apps, some so buggy, I can't believe they were released (AIM: I'm looking at you). I am VERY, VERY impressed with how well PocketPedia works. Thanks again guys, and congratulations on this fine achievement!
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Glad you were able to figure out the iTunes issue and thank you for sharing the solution for others; even more thrilled that you are enjoying Pocketpedia.
Ted
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Ted »

Conor wrote:Glad you were able to figure out the iTunes issue and thank you for sharing the solution for others; even more thrilled that you are enjoying Pocketpedia.
Well in fact I shared the wrong solution. In retrospect my problem was twofold, and the full iTunes Library disk was irrelevant:
1) Super long backup when synching the iPhone with iTunes -- see this thread for more info -- http://www.bruji.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2453
Suffice to say that with 500MB+ of DVDPedia/CDPedia data the backup took more than 8 hours -- how much more I don't know, because I canceled it.

2) iTunes was then hanging on Synching Email Accounts -- this was due to waiting for a response from the MobileMe Synch happening at the same time. The problem was that dialog window asking to allow the synch was burried. The only way to see was to switch to Finder and do a "Hide Others" in the Finder menu.

Ted