Plug-ins: fair use or requires site permission

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
gottadoit
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Plug-ins: fair use or requires site permission

Post by gottadoit »

Hi,

I am considering (I am pretty sure I will) write two plug-in for two adult sites and two for "rare DVDs" (at least in the US of A), My question is do you need the site's permission or does this fall under fair use or is this a function of country that the website is in?

I would image if I don't want problems you must get permission!?

Any advice would be helpful,

Kind Regards,
Gotta
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Plug-ins: fair use or requires site permission

Post by Conor »

Your plug-ins are for personal use and you should not have any problems with that. If you then decide to share them with other users we can ask for permission and make sure they are okay. Of course you can always be absolutely sure and ask for permission even before creating them for personal use. Another good tip is to change the user agent field for your request in the plug-in. This gives any site administrator the ability to block your plug-in or limit access. To do so use change the NSURLRequest to NSMutableURLRequest and then:

Code: Select all

if ([request valueForHTTPHeaderField:@"User-Agent"])
	[request addValue:@"Gottadoit-Plugin" forHTTPHeaderField:@"User-Agent"];
else
	[request setValue:@"Gottadoit-Plugin" forHTTPHeaderField:@"User-Agent"];
You can also read the robots.txt file for a website and make sure you follow the rules there, but that is bit more complicated to implement.
gottadoit
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: Plug-ins: fair use or requires site permission

Post by gottadoit »

Great advice and very logical. Thanks Conor.

Kind Regards,
Gotta