Text Export with images possible?

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
angel4492

Text Export with images possible?

Post by angel4492 »

This might be a very stupid question, but I'm asking anyway so I can stop trying to figure it out if it's impossible. :)

I am new to Mac and Pedias. I have DVDPedia (with ~600+ collection) and would like to print a list of my DVDs with images without having to export to HTML, then print. Is it possible to create (or modify) a text export "report" to include images?

I'm interested in printing basic info (title/image/genre/duration/rating/media, etc) only with approx. 5 columns & 8-9 rows due to size of collection. So far the only report in text export mode I've been able to find is "small list". That is ok minus images. I use Smultron as my editor.

Thanks for any help!
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Text Export with images possible?

Post by Conor »

The print command is also based on HTML. Choose print and then choose the template tab. There are several print templates, "listwithcovers" is most like what you are describing. The fields that are printed are set as part of the the template. But you can modify them by creating a copy of the template in ~/Library/Application Support/DVDpedia/Templates you will find the template to copy inside the program at DVDpedia.app/Contents/Resources/Templates be sure whatever new name you give the copy to also begin with "Printing" so that it will shows up in the print option and not the HTML export option. You can find more information about editing HTML templates in the help file.
angel4492

Post by angel4492 »

Conor wrote:you will find the template to copy inside the program at DVDpedia.app/Contents/Resources/Templates
Conor,
Thank you so much. I had actually forgotten about that feature under print and had become so obsessed with trying to find a comparable template in the export feature. I found a report under the print option (Small Covers) that I'd like to modify. However I cannot find the folder(s)/location "inside the program" like you mentioned. I feel very ignorant and don't know if it's b/c I'm new to Mac or just not understanding. Could you please explain again where to find that template?

Thanks again!
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

We make it easy with the HTML and text export templates by having an edit button. Unfortunately we don't have one for the print templates, I apologize for that. Find your copy of DVDpedia (the program) and (this is the tricky part) ctrl-click it. This will results in a contextual menu that contains the command "Show Package Contents". Once you select that command you will get a new window that will show you what is inside the program (programs are really folders, called bundles to denote the fact that the Mac does not show them as folders. They contain all the resources a program needs inside, and the Show Package Contents command is how you open that special folder on the Mac). From inside the DVDpedia bundle navigate by opening up "Contents" then "Resources" then "Templates", inside this last folder you will find the "PrintingSmallCovers.html". This is the file you want to copy to your data folder in your home folder at ~/Library/Application Support/DVDpedia/Templates (It's likely that the "Templates" folder doesn't exist yet, create it via the "New Folder" Finder command). Also rename the copy to "PrintingMyList.html" as if the new template is named the same as the internal one DVDpedia will pick the internal one. If you run into any complications or confusion don't hesitate to ask.
angel4492

Post by angel4492 »

YEAH! Conor, You are the BEST! I found the folders & file just as you described. I've copied the file, renamed it and am beginning my minor tweaks. The small covers report will work perfectly. I want to thank you for all the many hours you have saved me trying to learn advanced HTML for a DVD report. And for your speedy responses. Again, I can't thank you enough! :D DVDPedia was WELL worth the $! Such wonderful support is PRICELESS!
wluytjes
Contributor
Contributor

Post by wluytjes »

Hi Conor, can I come back to this discussion. I'm not a programmer, so maybe I just miss something, but when I edit a printing template, in this case "list with cover" and change a single field to display (collection id) to a custom field I use to identify where I keep a DVD, I loose all coverimages. Happens to other templates I'm trying to modify as well. Can you help, I really need more flexible printing and this appears to be the only way.
Thanks, Willem
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

I have not been able to replicate the issue, I changed "collectionID" for "custom1". Make sure that your template's name starts with "Printing" as well so that it appears in the printing options instead of the HTML export options. The printing templates do have a small trick in that they refer directly to the covers folder for the images. This could be an issue if the data folder is on a network drive. You can try changing "[key:localCoverImageURL]" for "[key:coverImageURL]" and remove the line near the top of the template that reads, "<meta name="image-export" content="no" />" that tells the exporter that Images are not necessary.

If your still having trouble send me your modified template as it could help me spot something that I am overlooking in the setup of the printing templates.
wluytjes
Contributor
Contributor

Post by wluytjes »

Hi Conor, thanks for the quick reply. I did as you suggested, even though I have no external databases. It made no difference, still no coverimages. So, I send you the template, with only the collectionID altered into custom3, through your regular email. Hopefully you can spot what is wrong.
Willem