Option to use VLC instead of Apple's DVD Player in DVDpedia

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
powertowerpro

Option to use VLC instead of Apple's DVD Player in DVDpedia

Post by powertowerpro »

Why you ask, let me explain...

I stream (wireless N network) all media from my server to my Mac Book Pro which is in turn hooked into my HDTV. VLC has an option to cache x milliseconds which is necessary to stream content without stuttering. To my knowledge Apple's DVD Player does not allow for caching. I am debating purchasing DVDpedia, but need to make sure there is a way to use VLC instead of DVD Player. I want to use DVDpedia as a front end to select which movies to be played. I have about 100 DVDs ripped to my media server and this would be an excellent solution.

Any direction on this would be appreciated.

Update: I noticed these clips searching the forums:

First, what does DVDpedia use to play VIDEO_TS folders?

Apple's DVD Player by default but it can be changed to VLC or any other application.

New expert preference for launching Video_TS folder with VLC (defaults write com.bruji.dvdpedia "VLC for VIDEO_TS" -bool YES)

Ok where is this "Expert Preference"? I tired loading the file with BBEDIT to manually change it but could not find the bool option.

2nd Update: Well I am nothing if not persistent. I am not used to editing prefs via the terminal. For others who might not have caught on, and this is for Googles benefit as well: To change DVDpedia to use VLC instead of Apple's DVD Player type:
defaults write com.bruji.dvdpedia "VLC for VIDEO_TS" -bool YES
into the terminal. Wow three hours of research to change one simple option....not very reassuring.

Thanks,
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Option to use VLC instead of Apple's DVD Player in DVDpedia

Post by Conor »

I am glad you were able to find the hidden preference. I apologize if the instructions were not clear enough about mentioning the Terminal, it can be very tricky when this is the first preference you change using the defaults command.
powertowerpro

Re: Option to use VLC instead of Apple's DVD Player in DVDpedia

Post by powertowerpro »

I am just happy the option is there!
udo
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: Option to use VLC instead of Apple's DVD Player in DVDpe

Post by udo »

Just tried the above, doesn't work here (anymore?).

After doing the terminal command DVDpedia opens VLC, but the movie/DVD doesn't open and the playlist is empty.

Manually dropping VIDEO_TS-folders into VLC still works.

DVDpedia 5.5.1
VLC 2.2.4 Weatherwax (Intel 64bit)
macOS 10.12.3
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

Could this not be made a tick box switch in DVDpedia preferences - General ?

Just a thought
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

It could indeed be a check box, but not sure it ha enough users to become a checkbox.

Thank you so much for the details and the version numbers. Since I can't reproduce on the same setup, you can try adapting the Applescript that is getting called. It's inside the DVDpedia package, by using control click and using "Show Package Contents". It's location is: DVDpedia.app/Contents/Frameworks/Pediabase.framework/Versions/A/Resources/VLC.applescript.

If you double click it, it will open Script Editor and you can try running the script from there. Replace "FILE_PATH" with the path to the Video_TS in quotes. Something like "/Movies/WALL-E/VIDEO_TS". If you then press the run button, it should report an error if any of why it's not opening. Likely something very specific with the path or the format of the VIDEO_TS.

I'll get access to a few more computers with 10.12.3 and give it a try there as well.
Ted
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Ted »

Did that
I'll get access to a few more computers with 10.12.3 and give it a try there as well.
get tried?

And does one need to do anything other than enter in Terminal:
defaults write com.bruji.dvdpedia "VLC for VIDEO_TS" -bool YES

and then try to run it from DVDPedia as usual?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

That in Terminal plus return to run the command. Once the Terminal display a new line you can play it as usual in DVDpedia and it will launch VLC. Only applies to VIDEO_TS folders as you can't set a preferred player in the Finder as you can directly for other movie files that are not a whole folder.
udo
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by udo »

Conor wrote:If you double click it, it will open Script Editor and you can try running the script from there. Replace "FILE_PATH" with the path to the Video_TS in quotes. Something like "/Movies/WALL-E/VIDEO_TS". If you then press the run button, it should report an error if any of why it's not opening. Likely something very specific with the path or the format of the VIDEO_TS.
Hi Conor,

so, I finally looked into it. If I look in the movie entry under "Links" the path is defined as: "file:///Volumes/FILME/MOVIE_NAME/VIDEO_TS"

If I use that—including the quotes—instead of FILE_PATH in the script VLC opens and plays the movie. (Not full screen though) I get no errors in Script Editor.

If I copy the link to the file in the regular DVDpedia UI via right click I get this:

Code: Select all

pedia://loadLink=file%3A///Volumes/FILME/MOVIE_NAME/VIDEO_TS
P.S.: When I used DVD Player the links always worked.

DVDpedia 5.6
VLC 2.2.8 Weatherwax (Intel 64bit)
macOS 10.13.4 (17E199)