Barcode scanners and cameras that work well with the Pedias

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
mishimayuki

Re: Barcode scanners and cameras that work well with the Pedias

Post by mishimayuki »

Hi,
I'm about to buy a barcode scanner to couple with DVD and Bookpedia. After checking with Microvision I've found out that their ROV scanner (former FLIC) needs a piece of software called SerialMagic to work on a Mac OSX at a cost from 40 to 70 USD. Many barcode readers manufacturers (Datalogic, Symbol, etc..) claim their products emulate a keyboard and thus would work plug and play on any platform. This seems not to be true. My original understanding was that using more or less any generic USB barcode scanner no extra software was required to input at insertion point in any software and particularly with DVDpedia and the like. Am I wrong?
Thks
Yukio
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

DVDpedia works with the Bluetooth ROV, because we have implemented code that connects to the device. If you plan to use the ROV for other software you might need SerialMagic which bridges the connection from the Bluetooth to pretending to be a keyboard key press. If the scanner is of the USB (tethered) version then it should work like any other scanner and emulate the keyboard input. You might still need SerialMagic if you plan to use the data storage function, where if the scanner is not connected it stores codes to deliver when plugged in (I am actually not sure if the USB version has this capability). We have the FLIC version of the scanner, hopefully a user with the ROV version and a USB cable connection will read this post and confirm the details.
mishimayuki

Post by mishimayuki »

Re: Barcode reader
Sent at: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:47 am
by alexvl

Hi,

You don't need to install any driver or software: it's really plug and play. I haven't used the scanner with any other software but I just tried with spotlight: it types the scanned barcode and adds a carriage return. Same thing with Word. The scanner with its USB cable simply emulates a keyboard.
Bellamy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Bellamy »

Ok forgive me if this is a stupid question but here goes. What are you using the scanner to scan into DVDpedia?
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

You scan the barcode on the back of a DVD to start a search for the item. It's the same as typing the UPC or the title into the search window.
Bellamy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Bellamy »

Thats what I figured, just thought I'd ask to be sure.
elijahslee
Inductee
Inductee

ISIGHT and BOOKPEDIA

Post by elijahslee »

:)
Last edited by elijahslee on Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

The trial versions of the Pedias are free and fully functional. The only limitation is that once you have more than 25 entries in the database, the add and edit features will be locked until the program is registered.

If you could you download this special version of Bookpedia, that will give us some more information about your iSight camera and hopefully tell us where the problem lies.

After you've run the program and opened the iSight feature once, please have a look at your console log, see if there are any messages from Bookpedia. You can access the console log via the application 'Console', located inside your Applications/Utilities. The newer messages are towards the end of the log.
macnorton
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by macnorton »

Is this the correct LaserChamp II:

https://serialio.com//store/product_inf ... 9542978d63

Thanks
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

That's the LaserChamp, yes. I don't know what the difference between the I and II is but I'm sure they didn't make any changes that would affect the usability.
macnorton
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by macnorton »

Nora wrote:That's the LaserChamp, yes. I don't know what the difference between the I and II is but I'm sure they didn't make any changes that would affect the usability.
Cool. Looks like something to buy with the tax return!
claidheamdanns
Contributor
Contributor

BEST Barcode scanners that works well with the Pedias

Post by claidheamdanns »

I just bought a barcode scanner for less than $10 on eBay, and have tested it out, and it works well for all of the pedia programs! I scanned a whole shelf of books in a few minutes.

The same seller has quite a few of these scanners. They are brand new Cue Cats, and you can see the auctions by clicking HERE.

I was very impressed with the product and the friendly service, and would highly recommend this.
dwb

Post by dwb »

In terms of the LaserChamp, can it be used to store barcodes and then download them automatically into the Pedias, either via Bluetooth or USB? Is this a scanner-specific function or should it work with any Bluetooth device such as the ROV? (I realize it has not been confirmed with the ROV.)

Also, in the automatic, "bulk" mode, what happens when a code can't be found? Does the process stop altogether or only post a message and then continue?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Works with the ROV and should work with the LaserChamp, if they use the same protocol. Connecting the scanner to the Pedias via the Bluetooth button on the add multiple window will transfer the stored scans over to the multiple add panel. When searching from the multiple window there are visual and sound indicators. The searches do not stop with a UPC that is not found but it does alert you and then add the UPC in question to a not found list; you can later search again or copy this list by clicking on the little warning sign that shows up at the bottom of the window.
dwb

Post by dwb »

Thanks for the information! Obviously a lot of thought went into the Pedias' design, which is always a pleasure to see in software.