Barcode scanners and cameras that work well with the Pedias

Talk to other Pedia users about the programs, share tricks and tips or ask questions about existing features.
kfscoll
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Barcode scanners and cameras that work well with the Ped

Post by kfscoll »

Download iCody from the iTunes App Store and use your iPhone as a barcode scanner. It'll automatically transmit the barcodes over WiFi to your Mac and insert them as text into whatever field your cursor is in. You can also scan the barcodes into your phone's memory and batch upload them later. It works great and for $7.99 it's hard to beat.
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

I have an aGent V5 HD webcam by http://agent.liquiddigital.com.au/ which I use instead of the inbuilt iSight once you have adjusted the focal ring.
jayemmm
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jayemmm »

Hi,
I have a new cue cat scanner and it reads the correct bar code/s and shows it in dvdpedia's search box.
However , I am 0 from 4 , as far as correctly identifying the movie goes ?
Am I still missing something ?

Regards,
J M.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Please send us the barcode numbers and we can investigate why you are not getting results.
jayemmm
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jayemmm »

Conor wrote:Please send us the barcode numbers and we can investigate why you are not getting results.
Hi Conor,
The 4 bar code numbers are,
9321337048451 The Kingdom of Heaven
5050582591460 Camille
9321337098999 The Rocker
9317731069420 My Sassy Girl,
Thanks , once again , for you help.
Regards,
J M.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

JB Hi-Fi is your best bet since you're in the Australia/NZ region. I found results for both 'My Sassy Girl' and 'Camille' using the UPCs on JB Hi-Fi but they seem to have different UPCs for 'Kingdom of Heaven' and 'The Rocker'. (If you do a search directly at the jbhifionline site, there are no result returned for those UPCs. They have different barcodes listed for some reason.)

We're working on adding more international support to the search in the future so hopefully UPC searches from around the world will become more comprehensive.
sreubart
Inductee
Inductee

Post by sreubart »

Maybe I'm the person who uses the IntelliScanner and didn't respond with my experiences. If so, sorry about that!

I bought the IntelliScanner to use with their cataloging software. It was OK for awhile, but the Pedias were SO much better that I converted over. I seem to remember it being somewhat of a challenge. It helped to have a long background in IT and programming. But eventually everything came over, and I'm fairly happy with everything (except the Amazon issues, of course, like everyone else).

The IntelliScanner works great. Whenever I get a new title I just call up the app, click "Add" and zap the barcode with the scanner. It even puts in the carriage return at the end, so it does the search right away. It's really fast.

My only problem with the scanner is its price--I feel it is WAY too expensive for what it does. I recently had the opportunity to upgrade to the updated version of the scanner, which is cordless and much smaller. But I couldn't see paying $149 to get something that does virtually the same thing as what I already have. If they came up with a version that worked with my iPhone or iPad, I might reconsider. I would LOVE to be able to catalog all of my books and CDs without having to drag them all into the room where my computer is, just to read the barcodes. I guess the newer version might have done that, but again I didn't think it was worth the cost to upgrade.

-- Steve Reubart
Pebowski
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Pebowski »

Nora wrote:Just a little trick we recently heard from a user who purchased a new scanner (ACAN) and had trouble getting it to work – it turned out to be the wireless keyboard that was inhibiting the scanner. As soon as he switched keyboards (i.e. to a USB one) the scanner worked fine.
Today I got a new ACAN scanner and here I use it with an iMac 27" and the wireless keyboard. The only problem was when I first connect it via USB - I get the message that it is an unknown keyboard and I should press the key near the shift key. Then I do so on the wireless keyboard and after the message that it is an unknown keyboard and after selecting German in the dialog that pops up, all works fine. I can use the scanner and the keyboard without problems. Also after restarting the iMac.
Ordered it in China for only 21 Euros with no shipping costs.

Peter
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Thanks for the tip Peter!